Took advantage of the situation

Thread starter #1

ddgarcia

Useless Billy CFO
Went out to do some work on my property today and check my cameras. One of those cameras is under some persimmon trees. I had just gotten there and was scanning the trees with my scope for the status of the fruit on them when I heard something coming at me from my right. Turned and here was this lil feller trotting at me. Don't know if he finally "saw" me, I was wearing a hi-vis yellow shirt, or if he smelled me but he finally pulled up at about 20yds broadside.
Instead of the mid motsnack of persimmons he was expecting, he got "fed" 150gr of copper jacketed lead. I think it gave him a bad case of indigestion.

IMG_20201004_104033737_HDR.jpg

Thread starter #4

ddgarcia

Useless Billy CFO
So I've been busy lately and going to catch up a bit. Went out Saturday Dec 12th for a "second rut" but and as I was wandering the trails with my grunt call making estrous bleats I got near an unknown to me until that moment for bedding area. After the does had run off I walked another 20 or so yds up the trail and let out a couple bleats and within seconds I heard what I just knew was a monster buck that had been bedded just up the way waiting for one of these does to come into season. As I dropped to my knee and leveled my rifle in that direction I saw them. A sounder of about 10 trotting towards me at about 70yds. After my initial disappointment I decided to "make lemonade outta lemons" and put my crosshairs on the forehead of the leading boar. As he rounded the last bend in the trail at about 50yds. He dodged to my right just as I squeezed the trigger and I watched as the bullet creased his right side. I thought sure his guts would start spilling out in short order, so as I worked my bolt I was searching for my next target.
Now I'd like to say I chose her because she was a pregnant sow but reality is she just in the right spot at the wrong time. It wasn't until I recovered her that I realized what she was. As she ran broadside from my right to left, I picked a hole in the trees and touched off the Remington 783. Hit her square in the heart dropping her in her tracks. I jacked another round in the chamber as I scanned for another target but by now the rest had made it far enough into the junk that although I could still see them a running shot would have been a prayer at best.

I searched for about 30min for the first boar I shot but apparently didn't do as much damage as I initially thought as I found no sign of him at all.

When the processor gutted her she had 5 babies likely within days birth in her.

IMG_20201213_081105406.jpg

Thread starter #5
Went back out on the evening of Jan 11th for a sit at a gravity feeder that I had a couple nice bucks coming to in the evenings. I had only killed one deer so far this season and wanted to get another if possible. I parked my tractor about 150yds down the hill from the feeder and started walking. As I poked my head over the top of the hill about 50 yes away from the feeder I spotted them. 1 BIG boar, 1 sow and 10 piglets at the feeder. I have had pictures of this boar jumping up and leaning on the feeder so I have been wanting to take him out for some time but I really wanted a deer. Practicality won out.

They were standing facing from my right to left with the sows head pressed up against the boars ham. I placed my crosshairs on her earhole and waited. The wind was in my favor and they had no idea I was there. I didn't have to wait long and she took two steps forward placing her head right against his belly. The Browning BAR barked and 130 grains of copper jacketed lead slammed into her right ear. The bullet then exited just forward of her left ear and hit him in the gut.

She of course was DRT and I watched as he took off like Hades Hounds were after him. I did not bother pursuing him as I had no interest in eating a 300+lb boar. Not wanting to waste .270 ammo on piglets, have y'all priced it latelyfacepalm::banginghe, I went back to my truck and got my 40cal pistol and returned. 5 shots later I had killed two of the piglets and two more were dragging their butts as they ran off with the rest all of which I figure will fail to survive on their own. Between temps near freezing at the time , coyotes, bobcats and the fact that I don't think they were weened yet, I pretty sure they all died.

Technically speaking I can say I killed 12 with that first shot with a fair bit of confidence, but certainly 6 of the twelve are dead with six shots.

IMG_20210109_171559648.jpg IMG_20210109_171548418.jpg

Thread starter #6
As a reward here is a ham from one of them, the first one I started this thread about I think, that I cooked New Years Day. I brined it for 12hrs then put it on the smoker for 8hrs. This was my first time trying this and it turned out pretty well but I think next time I'm going to brine for 24 and smoke for 12.

IMG_20210101_091007031.jpg IMG_20210101_152204788.jpg IMG_20210101_170931559.jpg
After brine, about 6.5hrs on the smoker and the final product ready for eating.

Way to go brother! Making lemonade out of lemons is always a good thing! Those pigs all look nice and healthy like they have been eating good too! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us. Some days are better than others and those were some great days!
Man that ham smoked up real nice too!:cheers:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
So I've been busy lately and going to catch up a bit. Went out Saturday Dec 12th for a "second rut" but and as I was wandering the trails with my grunt call making estrous bleats I got near an unknown to me until that moment for bedding area. After the does had run off I walked another 20 or so yds up the trail and let out a couple bleats and within seconds I heard what I just knew was a monster buck that had been bedded just up the way waiting for one of these does to come into season. As I dropped to my knee and leveled my rifle in that direction I saw them. A sounder of about 10 trotting towards me at about 70yds. After my initial disappointment I decided to "make lemonade outta lemons" and put my crosshairs on the forehead of the leading boar. As he rounded the last bend in the trail at about 50yds. He dodged to my right just as I squeezed the trigger and I watched as the bullet creased his right side. I thought sure his guts would start spilling out in short order, so as I worked my bolt I was searching for my next target.
Now I'd like to say I chose her because she was a pregnant sow but reality is she just in the right spot at the wrong time. It wasn't until I recovered her that I realized what she was. As she ran broadside from my right to left, I picked a hole in the trees and touched off the Remington 783. Hit her square in the heart dropping her in her tracks. I jacked another round in the chamber as I scanned for another target but by now the rest had made it far enough into the junk that although I could still see them a running shot would have been a prayer at best.

I searched for about 30min for the first boar I shot but apparently didn't do as much damage as I initially thought as I found no sign of him at all.

When the processor gutted her she had 5 babies likely within days birth in her.

View attachment 1062232
5 ? I think he miss counted ! That is one fat pig . Congrats on all the kills