Topo survey, or just boundary survey?

bassboy1

I'm in the process of buying a piece of commercial land. Coastal Al. 1 acre. I guess the term is vacant developed land (has a driveway culvert, has utilities available on the property, etc, but has never been built). In a small commercial park that is largely unbuilt.

County UNzoned. Plan is to builds metal building for my business. Property is in flood zone X (above 500 year flood).

Contract is contingent on passing phase 1enviro, and survey. Original intention for survey contingency was to confirm property is indeed fully in zone X. However, when I called for survey quotes, the surveyor told me that from pulling up the map, he could tell me that it's fully in zone X, no need for a survey to answer that. But, that I still should do the topographic survey rather than just boundary because it will probably be required for building.

County does not require a topo survey for building unzoned property. County GIS topo map shows about 1' of gradient over the entire property. We're going to be building a basic rectangular metal building. Property looks like it was cleared 20+ years ago, but has that much growth on it since - none of that vegetation will be kept.

Cost of just the boundary survey is about $1000. Topo survey (which includes boundary) is about $2500.

Should i go ahead and get the topo, or just stick with the boundary survey alone?

Last edited:

Elkbane

I would have the surveyor document the elevation of all 4 corners and call it a day.....You are probably going to do some leveling anyway and an elevation survey with a 1' gradient over 208' (assuming its a square acre) is kind of silly.
Elkbane

treemanjohn

Banned
Be VERY careful with wet lands along the coast. Make absolutely sure you find out what exists on your property. You may find out why nothing has been built there

bassboy1

Be VERY careful with wet lands along the coast. Make absolutely sure you find out what exists on your property. You may find out why nothing has been built there

I have been researching that.

County only requires a wetlands delineation (not the same as a topo survey) if there are wetlands on the property. I asked how we know there's wetlands. Was told to ask the Army Corps. I did make that phone call, but I'm not expecting a return call.
Seems the only way to determine if there is a need for the delineation is to have the delineation done.

However, based on the US Fish and Wildlife map, which is very detailed, but is very clearly labeled as NOT for official use, it seems it's in the clear.

There is a building built on the identical lot next door, which is at the same elevation. These are long rectangular lots, with the street frontage on the narrow end (132 x 327).

I like the idea of the corner elevations. I'll run that by the surveyor.

Patriot44

Banned
Bass, only advice that I can give is to cover all of your bases. My father purchased a piece of land near the coast in the early 80’s and all was good....then he got failed on a perk test. It took 500+ dump truck loads of dirt to get the one acre to pass.

bassboy1

Bass, only advice that I can give is to cover all of your bases. My father purchased a piece of land near the coast in the early 80’s and all was good....then he got failed on a perk test. It took 500+ dump truck loads of dirt to get the one acre to pass.

Good news on that front is that it's on municipal sewer, and hookup rates for all utilities were explored before even making an offer.

Kind of an oddball deal - unzoned county. City electric (yes, 3 phase) and water but county sewer.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have been researching that.

County only requires a wetlands delineation (not the same as a topo survey) if there are wetlands on the property. I asked how we know there's wetlands. Was told to ask the Army Corps. I did make that phone call, but I'm not expecting a return call.
Seems the only way to determine if there is a need for the delineation is to have the delineation done.

However, based on the US Fish and Wildlife map, which is very detailed, but is very clearly labeled as NOT for official use, it seems it's in the clear.

There is a building built on the identical lot next door, which is at the same elevation. These are long rectangular lots, with the street frontage on the narrow end (132 x 327).

I like the idea of the corner elevations. I'll run that by the surveyor.
Wetlands can literally be the existence of a flower or plant on the property. Check it before you by

Latest posts