Topwater Stripers and Crank'n Bass pics/vid

Scout'nStripers

Last night we took a little trip out on the lake and checked a few spots for spots.lol We found a few and caught a few on the dropshot and a couple on topwater that surfaced near the boat while we were dropping. Nothing very big or picture/video worthy last night.

I was back out early this morning and looking for some topwater fish at dawn. About the only thing going this morning was stripers. I saw a few bass surface but the stripers stole the show. I caught a few stripers on humps till around 8:30 and then I spent a hour or so on the rocks with the crankbait. The fish I pulled off the rocks this morning were bigger than the ones I've been catching so maybe that's a good sign for some bigger bass showing up on the rocks. I came back in before 11am and had a pretty decent morning. The stripers all came off topwater around main lake humps. I found stripers on 3 different humps this morning, you just have to sit and wait a few minutes and if they are there, they'll probably surface and you can get them with the topwater plugs if you're close enough.

I probably could of spent more time on the rocks and got more fish. The only fish I caught were bigger fish and I only hit 2 rock piles this morning before coming in.
Here's a few pics of some of the fish and little video I took early this morning. I was doing a little showboating for a boat that went by during a striper blow-up.

Attachments

• IMAG0770.jpg
    IMAG0770.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 788
  • IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 819
  • IMAG0772.jpg
    IMAG0772.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 823

Cletus T.

Very nice……that Vixen is a killer bait on Lanier!!!

Tmpr111

Sweet! Kills me that you use a spinning rod for topwater! That would drive me nuts. Looks like a deeper diving gizzard Shad to me

Scout'nStripers

Thanks guys. The topwater bite has definitely slowed to a crawl but I can still manage a few here and there.
::ke:Someone picked up a sexy shad...

Good stuff, Jim.
Mike, I raided my local WalMart yesterday. I was actually looking for a couple rattletraps and these two jumped out at me. I bought 2 of each and less than 24 hours later they're snagging bass.

Attachments

• IMAG0775.jpg
    IMAG0775.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 707

StriperrHunterr

Thanks guys. The topwater bite has definitely slowed to a crawl but I can still manage a few here and there.

Mike, I raided my local WalMart yesterday. I was actually looking for a couple rattletraps and these two jumped out at me. I bought 2 of each and less than 24 hours later they're snagging bass.

The one on the left is the one I was flinging when we went out a few weeks ago. It was a catching machine, until it caught a boulder.

Scout'nStripers

The one on the left is the one I was flinging when we went out a few weeks ago. It was a catching machine, until it caught a boulder.
Yep, I remember Mike. I went back to that boulder and found it!! lol..just kidding. You just can't go wrong with a black over white color pattern. I use it a lot.

Scout'nStripers

Tell me about it! Should have been using a fly rod, right?::ke:

Nice fish Jim. Cool to see the topwater bite hanging on.
:cheers:
Thanks groundpounder, you definitely could have used a fly rod yesterday. Some of the stripers were crashing bait within spitting distance of the boat and that striper in the picture came completely out of the water and smoked the vixen. I wish I would of got him on video, it was a bigger striper. This school of stripers were all bigger than the little 3-5lbers we've been playing with. Good to see some bigger stripers down here on the south end.
That's pretty good that you even found the box. Last I knew that was still at the house. :rofl:
When you caught that first bass on that crankbait, it went into my fishing memory bank and when I saw it at Walmart, I remembered your success and bought 2.:cheers:

StriperrHunterr

Thanks groundpounder, you definitely could have used a fly rod yesterday. Some of the stripers were crashing bait within spitting distance of the boat and that striper in the picture came completely out of the water and smoked the vixen. I wish I would of got him on video, it was a bigger striper. This school of stripers were all bigger than the little 3-5lbers we've been playing with. Good to see some bigger stripers down here on the south end.
When you caught that first bass on that crankbait, it went into my fishing memory bank and when I saw it at Walmart, I remembered your success and bought 2.:cheers:

:rofl: Good deal. I need to replace mine...

Scout'nStripers

:rofl: Good deal. I need to replace mine...
Let me know if you would like some custom cranks.

Early summer is the best time for black over white crankbaits. I'm still seeing shad in the shallows and that black and white pattern is perfect for the fish right now. If they follow last years pattern, soon it will change to the blue/green over chartreuse with deepest diving bills you can find. I refer to my blog for what colors have worked for me in the past.
Last summer we did very well with my z shad pattern (top pic) and this year I made a change to a more natural or gizzard shad pattern and I've been doing pretty good with it since earlier this spring.

Attachments

• IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 550
  • bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 571
  • 20150508115954(2).jpg
    20150508115954(2).jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 525

StriperrHunterr

Let me know if you would like some custom cranks.

Early summer is the best time for black over white crankbaits. I'm still seeing shad in the shallows and that black and white pattern is perfect for the fish right now. If they follow last years pattern, soon it will change to the blue/green over chartreuse with deepest diving bills you can find. I refer to my blog for what colors have worked for me in the past.
Last summer we did very well with my z shad pattern (top pic) and this year I made a change to a more natural or gizzard shad pattern and I've been doing pretty good with it since earlier this spring.

You know I do!

I picked up one from across the dam a couple weeks ago but have yet to have a chance to use it. I'm heading out Sunday for some striper, it may get flung then.

Hookum

Love when a striper smokes a top water...they don't miss!!!!

Worley

Fish

Looks like u still got em dialed in. That video is neat with the sun in the foreground. Looks like a great day on the pond my friend, congrats on some good fish. I chunked a sebile at some spots this morning and caught a few, them ugly green fish sure are fun when they pop a surface bait. Keep the lines tight man!

Scout'nStripers

Love when a striper smokes a top water...they don't miss!!!!
Man, that feeling I get right after the surface explosion ends and I feel the rod load up, there's no other feeling like it.

Looks like u still got em dialed in. That video is neat with the sun in the foreground. Looks like a great day on the pond my friend, congrats on some good fish. I chunked a sebile at some spots this morning and caught a few, them ugly green fish sure are fun when they pop a surface bait. Keep the lines tight man!
Thanks Worley. These little green fish don't pack the punch that a full grown stripers do on the surface but you're right, they are a lot of fun and present a little more of a challenge for me than pulling bait for stripers.