Totally winging a carcass set...What y'all think?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Got a dirt hole I really liked but hasn't done anything. It needed a refresh so I decided to place my road kill here...

IMG_20210416_095953555.jpg

I know it looks pretty "busy" but the only thing not naturally occurring is the green limbs I backed the bunny with. I've got him wired thru the eyes, and to the pine on the right...

What percentage do y'all give this arrangement?

Let it rip, don't be shy, I was totally wingin' this.

sportsman94

Is there any chance that it can be seen from the air? I assume not based on the lack of ground cover, but if so then buzzards/hawks/owls could be a concern. I prefer to bury mine 90% of the way only leaving a foot, ear, tuft of fur sticking out of the ground. I like to think coyotes are more interested if they think they found something another animal tried to hide. Keep us updated cause Im betting it catches something. Good luck!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Is there any chance that it can be seen from the air? I assume not based on the lack of ground cover, but if so then buzzards/hawks/owls could be a concern. I prefer to bury mine 90% of the way only leaving a foot, ear, tuft of fur sticking out of the ground. I like to think coyotes are more interested if they think they found something another animal tried to hide. Keep us updated cause Im betting it catches something. Good luck!

It's under pretty thick canopy. I thought about burying it, but wanted to seriously change up the set. The dirt hole has been unmolested in any way for two weeks.

I wanted it wide open and fresh looking. All the scent and pretty red meat for all the world to see and smell. It's right beside a well traveled trail.

It'll be stinking to high heaven in 24 hours anyway. Kind of an all or nothing one day deal, I figured.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
So just how rotten should I let this thing get before aborting the mission?

After thinking about it more, I figure fire ants will be the actual winner...

buckpasser

I try to anchor them in such a way that the feet of the coyote/cat/fox will be over the set when the restraint maxes out. The last few I’ve just drove a stake through them and set accordingly. I’ve never had any luck with sets that flashy (the branches, backing, etc) for coyotes, but I hope he’s in there in the morning.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, it ain't really that flashy...the ONLY THING I added was the couple of green branches stuck I the ground...The rest was already there.

I'm hopeful.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Well, I thought I was gonna pull the trap, but something got the bunny leaving me the head, and a strip of hide...

Pulled the head and hide back into position,and try it one more night.

Maybe he'll come back!

Surprised you didn't catch a buzzard. Caught one on a beaver carcass shoved completely out of sight under a blow down rootwad in heavy canopy. Won't do that ever again.
Its also an illegal set in many states, including next door in AL, for that very reason.
The only carcasses I will use are small critters such as squirrels or skunks always at the bottom of a deep dirt hole and out of sight.
Also way to much blocking. Coyotes don't willingly cage themselves. My guess is you got picked off by a grey fox as they are a critter of the thick stuff and are notorious bait theives often working sets from the back. Blocking is needed on greys.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Thanks for the tip. I knew that set was a little "busy" from the get go. But the only thing I added was the trap, the rest was natural. The set had been there about a week before I added the bunny.

I can't wait for some more Yotes to move in on my place, so I can get after them again..

After removing five from my area this spring, I am seeing more of everything else. Even saw two turkeys behind the house the other day, never seen that in 10 years here...

Trappin' works, and is a whole lotta fun!