Tough as a pine knot

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
It's a very accurate phrase.

View attachment 1093312

Unseen in the high weeds around the garden, it brought operations (quite literally) to a screeching halt.

Make sure that blade isn't even slightly bent. I hit an old Sweetgum root/stump here not to long ago and did the same thing, screeching halt. I had a noise and vibration I'd didn't have prior, and this mower was brand new. I went and bought a new set+1 and changed that one out. I had only mowed the lawn about 5 times and rode right over that root and never hit it til that day. It was so slightly bent it was hard to see, but I didn't want to wear out a brand new spindle too.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Make sure that blade isn't even slightly bent. I hit an old Sweetgum root/stump here not to long ago and did the same thing, screeching halt. I had a noise and vibration I'd didn't have prior, and this mower was brand new. I went and bought a new set+1 and changed that one out. I had only mowed the lawn about 5 times and rode right over that root and never hit it til that day. It was so slightly bent it was hard to see, but I didn't want to wear out a brand new spindle too.
I laid the blade on a flat surface and couldn't see any obvious bend, so I put it back on. I don't notice any odd vibration.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I laid the blade on a flat surface and couldn't see any obvious bend, so I put it back on. I don't notice any odd vibration.

Good deal, mine was barely noticeable, but the noise and vibration wasn’t. I hated hitting that thing like that at those rpms and instantly stop a 23hp Kawasaki motor 3 blades, spindles, belt.
Exactly like you said, a “screeching halt”.

SC Hunter

I was being a little brat kid one time about 13 or 14 years old and my papa told me to come on with him. He made me dig up a big stump by myself which took me about 4 hours with a shovel and an axe. Lessons learned that stuck.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I was being a little brat kid one time about 13 or 14 years old and my papa told me to come on with him. He made me dig up a big stump by myself which took me about 4 hours with a shovel and an axe. Lessons learned that stuck.

I didn’t mind choppin and diggin this one up, every swing with an axe and jump on a shovel produced high levels of pure satisfaction and revenge. I even left the lawnmower setting right there to witness it. :)

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I thought this was gonna be about Hillbilly's toenails.
Always trudging them hills in flip flops!