Towing a cooler behind a Kayak?

Artfuldodger

I was thinking about kayaking across Clarks Hill Lake and towing a cooler to a campground. My brother said he was on the Ocmulgee River and saw some kayaks come by towing a cooler. It didn't have an inner tube around it. They went a pretty good piece towing it down the river.

Artfuldodger

You got Bussey’s on your mind?!?

Seems like a tow on a lake would need less drag than a river tow... what about a cheap tiny Walmart kayak to put it in?

Yes, I do have Bussey in mind,lol. I wasn't going to bring a cooler but it sure would be nice to have ice.

I like the little kayak idea.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Artfuldodger

I saw this inflatable thing here;
https://doyoday.com/products/blue-w...MI-sTbgrDP6gIVPbSQBB21oAdDEAEYBiAAEgIOE_D_BwE

3588c8b723.png.640x640.png

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I’m thinking one would want a low center of gravity to keep the cooler from flipping if a bow wave came along.

Artfuldodger

I’m thinking one would want a low center of gravity to keep the cooler from flipping if a bow wave came along.
Yeah the one on that float might tip over. Although it might be less drag than the PVC. But if it inflated one got a hole in it.

This would be the best option but expensive;
72c68373e021c94461d7d53d2f5ae3f2.jpg

Artfuldodger

Watched a few You tube videos of Ruck 73's report to Bussey Point. He was towing a Creek Cooler like the red one above. All he did was complain about towing that stupid cooler, lol.
He said it kept his kayak from tracking right and added a lot of drag.
See "Bussey Point PT3"

So I may not be towing a cooler after all. Maybe down a wide river. It would be a nightmare towing one down a smaller river like the Alapaha.