Tracking collars

Whit90

I’ve got a 5 year old blue tick that absolutely hates squirrels. He’s not a tradition squirrel dog by any means, but he trees them all the time at the house, and he let’s me know about it too. I’d like to take him and see if we can tree a few and possibly bring a few home. Thing is, I’m afraid if he jumps a deer that he may take off after it and not listen to me. So I am curious to see if there are any decent budget options for tracking collars? Say around $200, max $250? I’ve search the net a good bit, but didn’t come up with anything. I really don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on a garmin, or something of the sorts, and him not actually hunt worth a dang. Thought I’d see if any of y’all knew of something. Thanks.

dslc6487

I think it will be real hard to find one in your price range. I gave about $600 for mine a few years ago. HOWEVER, I bought it the day after I lost my dog while squirrel hunting. Hunted her for hours and could not find her and she would not answer my calls. She absolutely would not leave a tree if treed, until I showed up and killed the squirrel or the squirrel got away. Hunted her until midnight. So, I placed my hunting jacket and shirt under a pine tree where I had originally parked my jeep. Went out there next morning and there she was, curled up on my coat. I think that is the happiest I have ever been. Went to Bass Pro the next day and bought the tracker. Have used it every time I put her in the woods. Has been one of the best pieces of equipment that I have ever bought. If you love your dog and don't want to take the chance on losing him, get a collar. If you have a friend that has one, borrow it from him, let him show you how to use it. I WILL never go in the woods again without having my dog collared where I can find her....

Whit90

@dslc6487 that is exactly what I fear and what I would like to avoid. Glad she was there waiting on you the next day! Thanks for the reply. I may just have to bite the bullet.

4x4

I got a Garmin setup for my squirrel dog. After having it and knowing exactly where my pup is at all times, I cant go without it. The collar itself you can find for under $200, but the receiver will be $200 for a used one, $350+ for a new unit.

Whit90

Thanks @4x4 . I have been looking on market place and asking around. If you guys hear of anyone selling a unit, please let me know.

Whit90

Well after doing some searching, I was about to buy a used Garmin Astro with two collars for $450, but instead I decided to bite the bullet on a new Dogtra Pathfinder. It was about $420 brand new. It pairs with an app on your phone. You can pre load area maps if you think you wont have service where you will be hunting. It can use google maps imagery/maps and it seems to be crystal clear. I think I will like the mapping and imagery better than what you get with the Garmin handhelds. Should be here tomorrow. Anyone have experience with these?61xXwu4ixCL._AC_SL1092_.jpg

TurkeyH90

I dont know about the Dogtra. Everyone I hunt with has some version of the Garmin. They work well. Please let us know how the Dogtra does. Good luck with the squirrels.

specialk

Honestly i hardly ever use the map on my garmin 100(rabbit beagles).....the compass button shows me direction and distance....if they get more than 175yds i move toward them......we use midland 2 way radios to stay in touch with each other as well....we usually keep a handle on the hounds.....

Hillbilly stalker

Well after doing some searching, I was about to buy a used Garmin Astro with two collars for $450, but instead I decided to bite the bullet on a new Dogtra Pathfinder. It was about $420 brand new. It pairs with an app on your phone. You can pre load area maps if you think you wont have service where you will be hunting. It can use google maps imagery/maps and it seems to be crystal clear. I think I will like the mapping and imagery better than what you get with the Garmin handhelds. Should be here tomorrow. Anyone have experience with these?View attachment 1060749
I know several guys who have switched from the Garmin Alpha to the Pathfinder. They like it, but they are the younger generation and don't mind the challenge. You definitely have a better picture/maps on your phone than on your Garmin. They have been hot sellers at the Grand American coon hunt for the last couple years. And them boys are ruff on gear...they try it out. I think you will be pleased, they have been giving Garmin a run for their money the last couple years.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I love all the dogtra lab stuff I ever had. Collars, winger remotes, all their stuff is top notch. Wouldn't be scared at all to try a dogtra product.

Whit90

@mizzippi jb Man I didn’t see a dang thing and he didn’t get on a single track. Only saw a few nests on our 5mile hike. My buddy had a squirrel hide and we did a few drags. Tucker did really well on those. The longest drag was only about 50 yards. He gets up on the tree and barks great when he fines it. I just need to get him on the real thing.

Al Medcalf

If you look around, you can Find some used telemetry outfits at reasonable prices.

4x4

Well after doing some searching, I was about to buy a used Garmin Astro with two collars for $450, but instead I decided to bite the bullet on a new Dogtra Pathfinder. It was about $420 brand new. It pairs with an app on your phone. You can pre load area maps if you think you wont have service where you will be hunting. It can use google maps imagery/maps and it seems to be crystal clear. I think I will like the mapping and imagery better than what you get with the Garmin handhelds. Should be here tomorrow. Anyone have experience with these?View attachment 1060749

This is a great system, but the app will drain your cell phone's battery FAST! Recommend carrying an external battery supply if your going to be out using it for hours on end. The birds eye view on my Garmin is just as detailed as Googlemaps. My Astro chews through alkaline batteries too. If I am out for over 4 hours, I have to replace the batteries in my receiver. I always carry extra batteries.
You wont be dissapointed with the Dogtra. Give us your review after you use it a few times.

Whit90

This is a great system, but the app will drain your cell phone's battery FAST! Recommend carrying an external battery supply if your going to be out using it for hours on end. The birds eye view on my Garmin is just as detailed as Googlemaps. My Astro chews through alkaline batteries too. If I am out for over 4 hours, I have to replace the batteries in my receiver. I always carry extra batteries.
You wont be dissapointed with the Dogtra. Give us your review after you use it a few times.

I always carry a battery supply when hunting anyway. I ran the system for 4 hours yesterday and my battery dropped about %25. I was using an offline map that I downloaded the night before. I’m not sure if that makes a difference with battery life or not. I’ll definitely let y’all know my thoughts on it after some more use.

Reactions: 4x4