Tracking Dog Recoveries (2016-2017)

rvick

Reba with a nice 9 point. This was an overnight track that we thought was a back-whack by the deer's reaction to the shot...hit the ground, laid a while, started pawing, got up and dragged itself off. The hunter shot it again. The next morning we found two marble sized pieces of fat and one drop of blood in a bed at a quarter mile. In this swamp a half mile away Reba found him and yes, after last Sunday, I was very nervous about her being in that water. After finding this deer Reba went on another track and caught a doe at a half mile, but it got away and crossed property lines where we couldn't go. She was covered with deer blood. Wish I had taken a picture.

Attachments

• _20161024_063545.jpg
    _20161024_063545.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,998
Last edited:

tgw925

Shot was mediocre so I gave the deer 2 hours. Ended up jumping her roughly 200 yards from shot site. At that point I did not want to push her anymore so I gave Mike a call, Lucy made quick work on the track and bayed her up for us to dispatch. I was surprised that she was still alive, shot was dead broadside.

xc7l1d.jpg

Idahomike

Thirteen year olds first time in the tree stand by himself,well done!!

Attachments

• IMG_20161023_213026806-1600x900.jpg
    IMG_20161023_213026806-1600x900.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,974

mschw04

8 year old got his first deer on Saturday. (button buck)

We found him.

Rescue dog from the pound. No training. Spoiled rotten. Sleeps on the kids's bed. And is a natural deer tracker. This is about his 5th deer. We hunt out in Taliaferro County.

IMG_7230.jpg

Idahomike

Got three calls to track yesterday
,fitst one 205lb main frame 8pt,north of wrightsville,hunter estimated we tracked him close to 2 miles I we never saw a drop of bld,across hay field,through thick stuff,across clears cuts,through
Open woods across another cut hay field,jumped him in a hedge row,ran him across cut hay field into a hedge row,she caught him there,by then luke caught up,theym bayed him up out in a cut hay field,what a fight,finally dogs were clear and we were able to dispatch him.
Inspected the shot,i would have eventually killed the deer, hunter shot buck facing him,if had shot one inch lower he would have missed,it went in rt in the middle of the brisket,for some reason it angle up a bit and left and broke the shoulder no exit.

Attachments

• IMG_20161026_135241-1024x725.jpg
    IMG_20161026_135241-1024x725.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 1,923

Flaustin1

Ive not gotten a call in almost 2 weeks. GON didn't put my name on the list like they were supposed to this month either. Called them in sept and they took my info. Im bummed out.

rvick

Where you located? We may be able to refer calls to you. I had a tracker come from another county to take a call that was 10 miles from me.

rvick

The first naturally bob-tailed deer that we have seen.

Attachments

• _20161027_054452.jpg
    _20161027_054452.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 1,879

wildlands

Flaustin1 send me a message and I will get you on the forum list I keep. Name, number and primary county

molly

Good One

Jake out done himself yesterday....when he finally got him bayed up I had to go back to my truck drive 5 miles to get to him. Thanks Garmin for "bark detector"...I knew he had him bayed. That Jake got the Majic.

Idahomike

Got three calls to track yesterday
,fitst one 205lb main frame 8pt,north of wrightsville,hunter estimated we tracked him close to 2 miles I we never saw a drop of bld,across hay field,through thick stuff,across clears cuts,through
Open woods across another cut hay field,jumped him in a hedge row,ran him across cut hay field into a hedge row,she caught him there,by then luke caught up,theym bayed him up out in a cut hay field,what a fight,finally dogs were clear and we were able to dispatch him.
Inspected the shot,i would have eventually killed the deer, hunter shot buck facing him,if had shot one inch lower he would have missed,it went in rt in the middle of the brisket,for some reason it angle up a bit and left and broke the shoulder no exit.
Second track of the day was routine for Lucy,hunter used small ballistic tip bullet so the buck didn't leave any bld on the ground for the hunter to follow,

Attachments

• IMG_20161025_231348910-1600x900.jpg
    IMG_20161025_231348910-1600x900.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,843

Sgajacket

Quite the morning...

As I headed to a stand I hadn't hunted since last year, I heard bucks fighting around a feeder on another stand. I changed directions, but the bucks were gone by the time I was able to climb up. I did see a decent buck at first light, but he seemed a little young.

At 8, I moved to the original stand I planned to hunt, and I quickly saw this deer moving across the tall grass. When he came into the clear, I fired and flat missed. I didn't have a good prop, and I had gotten my heart beating a little too fast. My second shot popped loudly, and the deer fell. Before I could take another shot, the deer was back up and running.

I had dark blood and a little bone at the initial site, and I started tracking the deer, only to jump him just in the edge of the woods. I decided to call for a dog, but I didn't call Randy Vick first, having heard about the passing of his number one dog and not being sure where that left him. However, another tracker told me to go ahead and call him.

When Randy got there, he let me know that he had never seen bone in anything other than a leg shot, but the rest of the scenario didn't fit that. Randy was a little unsure about the track because of the total lack of moisture, but Reba got on the trail and never got off. After we crossed through a small creek bed and into planted pines, Reba started to pull hard. Randy said she was wanting to run after the deer, and I could tell by his voice he figured the deer was long gone, though, in my experience, Randy is not one to be negative.

A few rows in, Reba really started pulling, and there the buck lay. As Reba approached, the deer went from completely motionless to charging stance in a split second. Randy pulled the dog back, and I drew my carry pistol. The buck wasn't able to get going very well, and I stopped the little progress he was making pretty quickly.

Randy and Reba were as excited as I was, and I could tell, though he obviously misses his dog, Randy is never happier than behind that leash. He even helped me get the deer loaded. This was my second experience with Randy, and they just plain don't get any better.

As for the shot, it turns out I inadvertently hit the deer in the neck, and the bullet must have caught some of the spinal cord. This not a shot I would recommend, but thanks to Randy and Reba, I got the outcome I wanted!! The deer was 330 yards from where he was shot and around 150 yards from where I jumped him.

Attachments

• 10-28 deer.jpg
    10-28 deer.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,766

rvick

Chris Hancock's massive old 10 point taken with a longbow this morning. No exit and no blood until Reba reached the area where he died.

Attachments

• _20161029_153719.jpg
    _20161029_153719.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1,311

rvick

Reba always lays with the deer if she finds it dead. Alive is a different story.

Attachments

• _20161029_153549.jpg
    _20161029_153549.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1,081

Idahomike

Second track of the day was routine for Lucy,hunter used small ballistic tip bullet so the buck didn't leave any bld on the ground for the hunter to follow,
Third track of the day,haddock also,tracked him 500 yrds from hit site to a creek,then she lost him no bld,the hunters spent a bunch of time there and obliterated the scent trail,took her so long to sort it out we just sat down turned our lights out and talked,finally she sorted it out took us to top of mountain through those small pines that you can't hardly walk side ways through,then off mountain down to the trucks,she tracked across road about 60 yrds behind the trucks we had drove over the track,she lost it there for awhile no bld since he crossed the creek about 500 yrds ago,finaly she worked it out again went 50 yrds into privets and jumped him,he had been less than 80 yrds from were we parked the whole time,if the wind had been coming from other direction she probably would have winded him,the chase was on we ran,jogged,and walked fast up hills,across creeks,through pines,finally out in an overgrown power line,she caught him,about then Jake caught up and helped her hold him,we snuck in I watched the fight as my youngest son aimed at the buck,soon as the dogs were clear I say shoot and the buck dropped like a sack of potatoes,thus saving him a slow death,he had a quick humane death,

Hunter shot buck with g5 Monte in the neck the arrow had angled forward just penetrating the chest cavity,it would have eventually succumbed to the wound.

Attachments

• IMG_20161026_023424870-1600x900.jpg
    IMG_20161026_023424870-1600x900.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_20161026_023604606-1600x900.jpg
    IMG_20161026_023604606-1600x900.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:

Bearakota

Blue and Kota

Having a pretty good rifle season so far. Even tracked a kids first buck. Love tracking deer for people. Here is two happy hunters

Bearakota

Blue and Kota

Having a pretty good rifle season so far. Even tracked a kids first buck. Love tracking deer for people. Here is two happy hunters

Attachments

• 18536.jpg
    18536.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 938
  • 20436.jpg
    20436.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 941