Tractor problem

deepone

I have 70's model IH. The air intake is comes through hood. During recent rain, water leaked into bowl at bottom of intake. I did not know water was present and tried to start the tractor. It started briefly and then shut off. Heard a gurgling sound. Checked and found the water. It seems to have sucked some of the water into the intake and will not start. Anybody have any suggestions?

dpoole

Probably going to have to drain all of the fuel lines and fuel pump to get the water out, then reprime all of the fuel lines and fuel pump.

dogboy

I have 70's model IH. The air intake is comes through hood. During recent rain, water leaked into bowl at bottom of intake. I did not know water was present and tried to start the tractor. It started briefly and then shut off. Heard a gurgling sound. Checked and found the water. It seems to have sucked some of the water into the intake and will not start. Anybody have any suggestions?
Gas or diesel?

deepone

It is a diesel. The water is not in the fuel or the lines. It was puddled in the air intake bowl (that's what I call it).
Was pulled into system upon cranking.

dogboy

It is a diesel. The water is not in the fuel or the lines. It was puddled in the air intake bowl (that's what I call it).
Was pulled into system upon cranking.
I would pull the injectors, spray some WD-40 into the cylinders and spin it over for a while. This will make a mess, because I think it has a mechanical fuel pump. Might try to route the fuel lines into one or more jugs to catch the fuel. This might take a bunch of battery charges according to how much water is in there.