Tractor question

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I just got a new to me harrow. It's a single row. When in use it makes the tractor run doglegged. I have it level and the draft adjustment center and tight. I guess that's what it's called, I don't have chains. Any ideas?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
A pic would help.

Width and number of discs the harrow has?
HP of tractor?

buckmanmike

If its a single row, does it have a right and left gang? Each disc in each gang face opposite directions. Right gang face one way, left gang the opposite.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I'll try to get a pic today. It's a 39 hp Kubota with a loader.
The harrow is a single split row with 4 disks on each side. Shaped like a v. I'm fairly new to tractors so terminology is not good.

Whitefeather

Management Material
The harrow is a single split row with 4 disks on each side. Shaped like a v. I'm fairly new to tractors so terminology is not good.

Are both sides digging the same depth? You may have to adjust the arm height to level it out

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Does dog legged mean it’s trying to turn the tractor while going straight?
Also, I make the assumption you are aware you have to lift the harrow to turn more than a few degrees.
Is the harrow a lighter on like the pic or much heavier frame?69EB2CCE-9E9F-4BF6-BF5D-6675B5AD54E1.jpeg

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Dog legged, trying to turn tractor while going straight. Yes much heavier duty frame

Park tractor on flat level surface with harrow hooked up.
Lower three point, adjust arm turnbuckles and top link until all discs make even flat contact and harrow frame is level side to side front to back and square to tractor.
Next ensure all disc boxings or bushings are in good shape and lubed if needed.

This should fix you.

While you're at it Google line of draft as it applies to plowing because this is what is happening. The implements line of draft is off the center line of the tractors line of of draft. When this happens the implement steers the tractor.

Gets really important with implements that are offset and ground engaging like a turning plow.

If you truly want the perfect tune you need to offset the tractor height and disc height by the depth the disc cuts.

Example, if a six inch cut raise whole tractor six inches then level disc.

But all one level works just fine.

Jimmypop

Why are the inside disc smaller than the outside discs . Is it a disc for making firebreaks? I've never seen one like it.

Whitefeather

Management Material
@Semi-Pro. Is it pulling to the left? Looking at the wear marks on the disks, the left side looks like it is digging a little deeper than the right side.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
If you look at the flat brackets on the center bar they are shifted left off-center a little. I wonder if that's the problem. That's not something easily adjustable so I don't think it was a problem for the other person. My other harrow worked so much better than this one.