Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Modern In-Line w/o scope

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Modern In-Line with scope

Votes: 23 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GAbuckhunter88

I just wanted to take a quick poll on how many people shoot traditional black powder including flintlock and percussion, and how many people shoot in-lines.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I voted flintlock, but I use a percussion rifle too. Both very traditional.

Lead Poison

Most definitely Modern In-lines with scopes!

Modern In-lines with scopes:fine: :cool: :shoot:

My favorites are:
1. Thompson Center Omega S/S
2. Thompson Center Encore S/S
3. Knight Big Horn and LK-93s

GAbuckhunter88

I am right there with ya wildcat. I shoot a TC Hawkens 50 cal as well. As a matter of fact my father and I both do. Plus we have a friend who shoots flintlock and up until a few years ago went up to that big traditional shoot in Kentucky with teams from every state. A very interesting event to watch.

weagle

I started out with an in line when the State introduced the ML season, but I graduated to a 50 cal TC hawken. Great rifles.

Weagle

108876500.jpg

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
i shoot both. i traded off my sidelock a while back, but as funds allow i will replace it. i even try to ride the fence by having a blue and wood inline with no scope !!! ;) i had an old old old inline that was a 58 cal once but traded it before i ever shot it. a lot of folks think inlines are new, but they are older than most folks believe. hey nic, when you gonna try a match lock ?

GAbuckhunter88

Yes sir Weagle, I have the same TC as you. It is a great rifle and a beauty to.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Feral, a few years ago I had the chance to shoot a matchlock. It was purty neat too! Definately not a rain gun though!!!

Robk

While I voted for a scoped inline I have yet to use the thing. My wife got me one for christmas this year. I've used TC Hawken's in .50 and .54 growing up and the last ML deer I took was with a hawken .50. I mostly decided that I wanted the inline because of the better accuracy at longer ranges that I'll be using it for on some mountain pigs. I still plan on building one as soon as funds allow. Might try doing one in .45 and preferably in a kentucky long rifle style instead of the TC Kits.

Rob

Jason280

I stick with traditional caplocks, and shoot .50 cals in both of my muzzleloaders. One is a T/C Hawken that is at least 20 years old, and the other is a fully camo'd Treehawk. My first muzzle stuffer was actually an in-line, but felt it was too much like cheating and sold it.

My next one will be a flintlock, and I almost bought a .44 BP revolver yesterday.

Marlin_444

Traditionlal vs Modern

Hey All:

Have used a CVA Bobcat Percussion in the past, now use a TC 209x45 with a Pentax Gameseeker Scope.

Cooter:crazy:

CK'n

Springfield

A real Springfield ? Been converted to a percusion cap?

I restoring antiques firearms for a living, so you can see this is very intrigueing to me. Never ran across a person that shot one on a regular bases. Actually, can't recall anyone shooting one in probably the last decade!

Please add some more...I would like to hear about it. I have one, it will only collect dust until I sell it. Worked on enough to supply a small army though. Still, not many reports of someone ever firing one.

way cool dude!

Chris

BTW, mine is a convertion and made/assembled in '46. Not any differant from yours if converted.

CK'n

Springfield

Balvarik
well, that is almost as good. That is one big chunk of lead flying. No wonder the critter acts like it just got hit with a telephone pole. There is no arguing with thing.

Best of luck hunting, and I hope there is some meat left after that cannon gets done!

Take care,
Chris

whitworth

Flintlock shooter

When I started BP hunting in my then resident state, it was a flintlock only for muzzleloading deer hunting. No percussions and inlines were not marketed.

I never got into collecting black powder rifles and I consider inlines, not real muzzleloaders.

However, I know that as long as deer populations are high, hunters will get a lot of choices, as to legal deer rifles.
Plus it probably kept black powder gun manufacturers in business, including the maker of my rifle, because of the increased choice. Flintlock rifles require a lot more practice, than many a hunter may wish to spend at the range.

Of course, you can get to do a little showing off, with a flintlock at a public rifle range.

Hawken2222

TC 50 CAL HAWKEN

fishdog

CK, do you build muzzle loader stocks? I am working on a half stock now. By far one of the most complex tasks I have ever taken on.