Trailer tires longevity?

SC Hunter

I've got to get new tires for our enclosed trailer. I bought it from a guy on fb here locally and it has been pulled to Sturgis 2 times since they bought it. I couldn't pass up the deal up less than $1000 for a 7x16 trailer. I pulled it to Statesboro last week to move my niece out of the dorms and I told my wife we're getting tires this week on it. Their not dry rotted by they aren't in great condition. I put new tires on our yard trailer every few years but its sitting out in the sun all the time. That enclosed trailer will be used some for the family going camping and all as well.

OleCountryBoy

Wow, amazed at how proactive you guys are. I never change a trailer tire before it's time. If it's got tread and not rotted, I send it, and always keep a good spare on the trailer. I've had boat trailer tires last 15 years or more, my utility trailer tires are 10 years old and still in great shape.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I am fearful of bearing failure too. I usually pull hubs and repack the bearings every other year on my utility trailer and my equipment trailer. Both are just hobby use.

Big7

The Oracle
They last way longer than 3 years if you park on boards.
EXACTLY. + covering or parking in the shade. The sun is not your friend with natural or synthetic rubber.

WayneB

Wow, amazed at how proactive you guys are. I never change a trailer tire before it's time. If it's got tread and not rotted, I send it, and always keep a good spare on the trailer. I've had boat trailer tires last 15 years or more, my utility trailer tires are 10 years old and still in great shape.
Well, camper is $45k, equipment on equipment trailer $75k.. tires are cheaper. Hauling trash on the little utility trailer has zero value ( to me) but I still don't want the aggravation of having to change a tire on the shoulder..

hipster dufus

If rhectreadwear markers are showing u would change em, like i said about 10-12k miles in 3 yrs

WayneB

If there is checking anywhere on the sidewall, and you have worn them to the markers, you done got your moneys worth. I would replace them, you have to decide what they are on is worth to you, and what your life is worth having to change one on the shoulder.

chase870

Possum Sox
I'm a tire terrorist. If it will hold air I will pull it, even with a slow leak till I can get a patch or plug in it. I never buy the new best tires out there. I have a enclosed 16 ft trailer I duck and goose hunt out of it is the only one I put a better quality tire on and thats only because its a long drive to Canada and I hate a delay when hunting. Every other trailer I have has a mix matched collection of tires. As some one here said the landfill is hard on tires, and I go there a lot. I only use trailers with two axels so long as I have at least one tire with air on each side I can make it where I am going. I hold the record at bobs tire for patches and plugs in a tire. I will also pull it on a rim if need be. I have found its cheaper and quicker than fooling around changing a trailer tire on the road.

1gr8bldr

You see trailers all over the side of road, mostly from failed bearings. I feel my hubs at least every other pull. If they are hot, they are in need of grease. Luke warm and you are good. To hot to hold on to and you will not be able to continue if you don't address it real soon. Heat reveals the condition, but it can liquidize the grease causing exponential degrading of the situation. I got grease on my hands now, a bearing failure of my dual axle 16ft trailer that is almost as old as I am. [55] After I fix this one, two originals remain. Never once have I removed and repacked but I have kept them greased regularly .

1gr8bldr

You see trailers all over the side of road, mostly from failed bearings. I feel my hubs at least every other pull. If they are hot, they are in need of grease. Luke warm and you are good. To hot to hold on to and you will not be able to continue if you don't address it real soon. Heat reveals the condition, but it can liquidize the grease causing exponential degrading of the situation. I got grease on my hands now, a bearing failure of my dual axle 16ft trailer that is almost as old as I am. [55] After I fix this one, two originals remain. Never once have I removed and repacked but I have kept them greased regularly .
Went ahead and changed out all the bearings so I don't wait on them to go one by one

hipster dufus

Well, this post was a waste. Was lookin for mileage estimates, one brand vs another. Thanks anyway