Trailer to vehicle light connection stranded wire - mesh splice or NASA/Telegraph splice?

Dr. Strangelove

I just picked up a johnboat and trailer, the trailer wiring is actually decent except that the flat four connector is not getting connectivity from the plug. I cut the plug off and verified connectivity to the end of the loom, lights work independent of the plug.

I picked up a new plug, typically I'd lineman/NASA splice the wire in, solder and heat shrink.

This is stranded wire on both sides , I just discovered the mesh splice for multi strand wiring. I'd also solder and heat shrink.

The lineman's splice has more strength but this is just the joint between the trailer wiring and vehicle and will have no tension.

What's the best splice in this instance?

Lilly001

I use a hydraulic crimper.
My research indicates that soldered joints, if exposed to any vibration or stress, fail by cracking more often than a good crimp.
I discovered this while rewiring my boat.
I have the crimper from Harbor Freight and it works well.

Dr. Strangelove

I use a hydraulic crimper.
My research indicates that soldered joints, if exposed to any vibration or stress, fail by cracking more often than a good crimp.
I discovered this while rewiring my boat.
I have the crimper from Harbor Freight and it works well.
Huh. I did not realize that hydraulic crimpers went all the way down to 12ga. I'll have to check that out.

Lilly001

Huh. I did not realize that hydraulic crimpers went all the way down to 12ga. I'll have to check that out.
I’ve done 14 ga. But it was solid strand.
I also did 1 ga for my trolling motor.
It was probably overkill, but I figured why not?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If you're soldering stranded wire, strip the insulation, twist the strands tight, apply a little flux and touch it to the hot iron/solder.
Tinning the wires. Then lay the 2 ends side by side and solder together.

paulito

After 25+ year dealing with trailer lights at work i have come to the viewpoint.....don't over complicate it and don't spend a bunch of time and money on it. Trailer lights suck. They work one minute and ten you blink and something changes.

Like Fireman32 said, i've spent big $ putting one of the heavy guage RV type round connectors on a boat trailer with that thought that i'm out thinking my guys and no way they can mess it up only for them to drag it down I75 at 70 MPH and totally destroy it. UGH!:mad:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
western union splice is stronger than mesh splice. Solder it, heat shrink and be done with it. You won't get enough vibration on a wire like that to ever cause an issue. Much more likely to drag the new connector off one day when you forget to plug it up.

Latest posts