Trap care experiment...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
For two months my used, dyed and floor waxed traps have been hanging in the corner posts of my carports.

Had some new rust coming thru the Full Metal Jacket in places, so I decided to try an off the wall experiment.

I still had a pot full of dye, so I just plopped half my traps in there, and left em for 24 hours. They seemed to take dye just as well as if cooked for an hour or so.

Pulled em out, let em dry, and dunked em in the FMJ again. Set em out to dry and they look a bit better.

IMG_20210715_160817592.jpg

Got the other half soaking now. GON store em in a tote in the attic of the shed till settin' time comes back around.

Doug B.

You left them in cold dye? That seems like it would be good.
I have got to where I will dye mine then just hang them up for a week or two. Surface rust starts bleeding through the coat of dye and I put them back in the hot dye pot. When I pull them out they look amazing. Then I wax them and they turn out great.
I'm anxious to see how yours turn out with your new method.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
You left them in cold dye? That seems like it would be good.
I have got to where I will dye mine then just hang them up for a week or two. Surface rust starts bleeding through the coat of dye and I put them back in the hot dye pot. When I pull them out they look amazing. Then I wax them and they turn out great.
I'm anxious to see how yours turn out with your new method.

Yep, 24 in old, cold dye...That photo IS how they turned out....:LOL:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’ve put them in cold dye before too but I left them in there several days. Worked good

mossyoakpro

If I read correctly you can do it either way....I've always hot dyed them but I may give that a whirl. I hate to say it but I have some brand new ones that I forgot about after degreasing them, now they have a thick coat of rust on them....now I've got to drop them in vinegar and start over. UGH

buckpasser

I’m debating on just spray painting mine and being done with it

I’m running one painted and have been for a year or so maybe. I just wax her with the rest and it seems like a better option than the rust/dye cycle of pain.

I’ve about decided all new buckpasser traps will be painted/waxed 550’s. I’d like to say MB’s because I’m a man of principle, but I’m too cheap to make that promise.

chase870

Possum Sox
Why do you have to do this to a traps? I see the threads about dye and wax etc. I would figure a rusty trap would work just as well, but I'm not a trapper

buckpasser

Why do you have to do this to a traps? I see the threads about dye and wax etc. I would figure a rusty trap would work just as well, but I'm not a trapper

You’ll get multiple answers. The wax is the only really vital part of it for me. It seals in the strong smell of steel and especially rust from the yotes nose. Also, a fresh waxy trap fires faster and more efficiently than a rusty crusty one. I basically just dye them to preserve the steel for as long as I can. Like blue on a gun barrel.

mossyoakpro

I’m running one painted and have been for a year or so maybe. I just wax her with the rest and it seems like a better option than the rust/dye cycle of pain.

I’ve about decided all new buckpasser traps will be painted/waxed 550’s. I’d like to say MB’s because I’m a man of principle, but I’m too cheap to make that promise.

Give the K-9 Extreme a try...pricey, but they come with a coating on them. They can be set right out of the box. They are rough on fox is the reason I don't use them as much as I do. If I'm on a place with a ton of coyotes I will use them.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here is some of the second batch after about 4-5 days I the cold, old dye...

IMG_20210719_161516019.jpg

The photo doesn't really do them justice, but these are my best result yet. They really darked up nice, almost blued looking, and think I have arrived at my dye technique, going forward...

Latest posts