Trap Lines North

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’ve always been fascinated by that lifestyle and almost moved to Alaska when I graduated high school back in mid seventies. I also dabble in trapping but nothing serious.

Stroker

I remember reading it back in the 60's and dreaming of the lifestyle. As a kid my dream job was working in a fire tower out west.

zedex

Gator Bait
I wish trapping was as easy as books make it to be.

Many years ago, I'm sure it was. But not now.

I've been trapping and my trapline is about a 7 hour drive away. It's that way by design, to allow trapping but make it not worthwhile. There are many available options nearby but you cannot have a line near your home.

Then, theres the issue of so rules, laws and regulations. Add to it that the government has been conditioned to believe that all Canadian land still belongs to the Indians. The Indians raid trapline for traps and the catch.

Now, if you are lucky and survived all that, you have to pay the queen for the pelt. It's not much but I feel like I've already paid her when I paid to take the course, paid for the license and paid for the gear. She has taxed me 3 times already. Then I pay for the pelt and pay again upon sell of the pelt and again when that sell is recorded as income.

Then, if your line doesnt produce a prescribed amount of pelts, you lose it. The government takes it away from you. So, to keep their lines, some trappers make up a catch, pay their taxes and keep the lines.

I could build a shanty and stay on the line if I want. But the government has given much of the public lands to logging companies and if they decide to clear cut my line, I have to pay to demolish the shanty.

Many years ago, I bet the trapping was great. It's not worthwhile anymore

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It seems that the Canada of today is a pitiful example of what it use to be. Sadly I think the US is rapidly moving in that direction.

Lukikus2

I wish trapping was as easy as books make it to be.

Many years ago, I'm sure it was. But not now.

I've been trapping and my trapline is about a 7 hour drive away. It's that way by design, to allow trapping but make it not worthwhile. There are many available options nearby but you cannot have a line near your home.

Then, theres the issue of so rules, laws and regulations. Add to it that the government has been conditioned to believe that all Canadian land still belongs to the Indians. The Indians raid trapline for traps and the catch.

Now, if you are lucky and survived all that, you have to pay the queen for the pelt. It's not much but I feel like I've already paid her when I paid to take the course, paid for the license and paid for the gear. She has taxed me 3 times already. Then I pay for the pelt and pay again upon sell of the pelt and again when that sell is recorded as income.

Then, if your line doesnt produce a prescribed amount of pelts, you lose it. The government takes it away from you. So, to keep their lines, some trappers make up a catch, pay their taxes and keep the lines.

I could build a shanty and stay on the line if I want. But the government has given much of the public lands to logging companies and if they decide to clear cut my line, I have to pay to demolish the shanty.

Many years ago, I bet the trapping was great. It's not worthwhile anymore

Jeez! That is ridiculous.

zedex

Gator Bait
Jeez! That is ridiculous.
I could write a whole book of the Canadian ridiculousness and most of it would be of total taxation.
Theres a book called "How To Be A Canadian". The section titled "How The Government Works" is a page that states "it doesn't". Its accurate and inaccurate.
You dont get anything from them but them are busy figuring out how to get more from the people

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That would be a stout "affirmative" to both sentences
What’s the deal with the north west territories being partially renamed? I missed out on that ?‍♂️

zedex

Gator Bait
This does not include species stamps. Its extra for all species of salmon and, I think, extra for halibut unless on an overpriced charter. Also note that the daily limit for many fish is one of a certain species. Others are 4 and flounder/sole is 8. Possession limits are double the daily

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I’ve always been fascinated by that lifestyle and almost moved to Alaska when I graduated high school back in mid seventies. I also dabble in trapping but nothing serious.

Yep. 1974. I still wonder why I changed my mind?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I could write a whole book of the Canadian ridiculousness and most of it would be of total taxation.
Theres a book called "How To Be A Canadian". The section titled "How The Government Works" is a page that states "it doesn't". Its accurate and inaccurate.
You dont get anything from them but them are busy figuring out how to get more from the people

The United States should simply take Canada, assign it Statehood as the 51st state, and tell the British government and their so called queen to bay at the moon and cry.

zedex

Gator Bait
The United States should simply take Canada, assign it Statehood as the 51st state, and tell the British government and their so called queen to bay at the moon and cry.
If the US did that, it would add millions of liberals to the voting bloc. You sure you want that???