trap stakes

reflexman

Snake Dodger
my son has really gotten in to trapping but when I go with him he has a time pulling some of the stakes. Hejust grabs the trap n pulls hard some come up easy n some don't want to budge what do you guys do thanks in advance

furtaker

I double stake with rebar when I'm not using drags and I just take a big pair of channel lock pliers, grab the head, and twist and tug until they come out. Some are a little stubborn depending on ground condition but most come out easy enough.

oldguy

I double stake with rebar when I'm not using drags and I just take a big pair of channel lock pliers, grab the head, and twist and tug until they come out. Some are a little stubborn depending on ground condition but most come out easy enough.
I still double stake as well, and use a mattock to jack 'em out of the ground. Hook end of mattock under the top of the stake push on the handle and levers right up and out.

furtaker

I still double stake as well, and use a mattock to jack 'em out of the ground. Hook end of mattock under the top of the stake push on the handle and levers right up and out.
Good idea with the mattock.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Funny I was gonna ask a question about what kinds of stakes everyone uses , had an old trapper let me go with him a few times and he used rebar also that he welded a nut on one end , and had a similar homemade stake puller , but I don’t remember him using double stakes

Mark K

Banned
I went with Earth anchors, super stakes. Rebar would be some serious weight to haul around, especially if you double stake. 4 dozen traps would be 8 dozen pieces of rebar. I would think a longer chain on the trap would keep a coyote from pumping a stake, but I prefer the shorter chain. I think it gives them less space to build up steam for a pullout. Think I had 2 pullouts all of last season Dec-August. That’s 2 too many, but I’ll take it.

Mark K

Banned
I started out with 18” but it was way too much overkill and a serious pain to get out. Started using 12” and with a drill and auger bit they come up much easier now.

Last edited:
I use wolf fang anchors with chain. To pull out, I use my drill and auger and drill a hole next to it and pull out. Recommend stake driver from stalker fabrications.