Trapline advice

fountain

I just started trapping this season about mid February. Havent caught a lot so far. 2 Bobcats and 1 coyote. For some reason the coyotes didnt seem to be on the move much with the warm weather. I've pulled all but 2 sets now. With Turkey season approaching, I will eventually pull those as well.

My focus on traps now will shift to thinking about setting after Turkey season. This will be when the females should be out hunting more. What bait/lure should I go to? I know it will be extremely hot then and ants will be an issue with anything most based I'm guessing. I'd like to stay after the predators as much as possible during that time with baby turkeys hatching out and fawns dropping.

I'm going to be boiling my traps and giving them a good waxing again soon in preparation and gathering as much info as I can

Mark K

Banned
Congrats on your success so far! Maybe some of the experienced trappers will chime in, I don’t know enough to offer advice yet, lol. Good luck.

jakebuddy

I got a few,
Remember your license expires at the end of March.
For coyotes use just gland lure and urine post, cuts down on the ants.
If your not seeing tracks it’s because they are not there.
Listen for them at night.

Ol' Gobblero

I got a few,
Remember your license expires at the end of March.
For coyotes use just gland lure and urine post, cuts down on the ants.
If your not seeing tracks it’s because they are not there.
Listen for them at night.

I agree about gland and urine. Flat sets and properly constructed urine posts are your friend. You will have more misses at flat sets. If you want to use dirt holes, stick with larger, whole baits. Chicken parts (legs, thighs), old ground deer meat, whole chickens, etc. I have been catching most of mine on chicken eggs and scrapes from a low country boil (crab shells and shrimp parts).

Mark K

Banned
Maybe I’ve just been lucky, but the last few critters have come off coyote paws in a dirt hole. Read somewhere about glands in the paws and figured what the heck. I realize they aren’t investigating to eat, I guess just more of a curiosity factor. Seems to attract K9’s and Felines.

SemperFi

Speaking of license, can we renew now to get the new or do we have to wait until it expires?
There is actually a box you can check to have it go into effect now or April 1.