Trapper Needed

Doug B.

I need someone to trap in haralson county
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, I would encourage you to learn how to trap yourself. I tell everyone that comes here wanting a trapper the same thing. There is tons of information right here on this forum for you to read and learn. Plus there are a several really good trappers here that will be willing to answer any questions you may have. It might even work out to be cheaper on you to learn how. It also might be hard to find a good trapper to come to you which is another good reason for you to learn. You see, there just isn't that many trappers any more and trapping is a sport that we don't need to let die. It is a very useful tool in managing predators. It is also a lot of fun and very gratifying to catch predators off your land.

If you don't want to learn how maybe somebody here can help you. Good luck to you either way!

mossyoakpro

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but, I would encourage you to learn how to trap yourself. I tell everyone that comes here wanting a trapper the same thing. There is tons of information right here on this forum for you to read and learn. Plus there are a several really good trappers here that will be willing to answer any questions you may have. It might even work out to be cheaper on you to learn how. It also might be hard to find a good trapper to come to you which is another good reason for you to learn. You see, there just isn't that many trappers any more and trapping is a sport that we don't need to let die. It is a very useful tool in managing predators. It is also a lot of fun and very gratifying to catch predators off your land.

If you don't want to learn how maybe somebody here can help you. Good luck to you either way!

I second this idea...I started a while back out of necessity. There were not any trappers near my area and the ones that were charged quite a fee (I now understand why) This past season was my last for doing jobs on other folks properties...I have neglected my farms for a couple of years and it is starting to show now, so for a few years I'm going to just concentrate on my ground.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum as well as on Youtube...just get you a half dozen foothold and a half dozen DP's and have fun. It's like Christmas every morning you check traps!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Third vote for getting after em yourself!!

With some guidance from right here on GON only, I taught myself to trap last year. Well worth the effort!

It is an absolute hoot, another excuse to get in the woods, and if you have any kids or grands, they'll love it too.

Just try it, you'll like it...

buckpasser

I’ll be different and vote to support a trapper who’s already in business and proficient. Check the GON list and see who’s close by. If there aren’t any, you may need to learn it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you do hire one, make sure he knows what he's doing. A few years back, my Pa in law paid a guy $50 to set four coyote traps around his place.

I was there when he set them, but at the time I was more curious than interested...

In two weeks, we caught NOTHING. None were even disturbed.

Knowing what I know now, after setting probably 100 or so myself, the guy either didn't know what he was doing, or was just after the $50.

He's a good beaver catcher, from what we understood, but his coyote sets left a whole lot to be desired, looking back now...

2dye4

Well, if you do it for a living and the person that started the thread can afford to pay the trapper all is well. But the folks asking for the help have no idea as to how time consuming and costly the “hobby/profession can be. So that being said, if the asking individual would just attempt to rid predators themselves and were not successful, there are plenty of trappers that would be glad to buy their gear.

Doug B.

Well, if you do it for a living and the person that started the thread can afford to pay the trapper all is well. But the folks asking for the help have no idea as to how time consuming and costly the “hobby/profession can be. So that being said, if the asking individual would just attempt to rid predators themselves and were not successful, there are plenty of trappers that would be glad to buy their gear.
Very true!

Doug B.

I’ll be different and vote to support a trapper who’s already in business and proficient. Check the GON list and see who’s close by. If there aren’t any, you may need to learn it.
I agree somewhat. The reason I try to encourage everyone that asks about a trapper to learn to trap themselves is to recruit new trappers. Some people can't get to their leased land to trap because they live a long ways off. And I understand that. But if they can get there to set and check traps then there is another trapper in the ranks. Trapping is a dying art. A few more years and there won't be any of us left.

There is definitely nothing wrong with hiring a trapper. But most people don't realize the costs involved. I would love to see another new trapper on here. And think of the enjoyment we get out of it answering their questions!!!!

2dye4

Well since he has posted the thread he has not replied since. Makes no sense to me or he’s really a good student and went out and invested in some gear.

I don’t have time to do it myself
One of the reasons I don’t get on here and respond. Figured if someone was willing to do it they would let me know. I know it cost money I’m not expecting it to be free. I need the coyotes trapped mostly. I’m raising over 300 thousand chickens and 100 cows and trying to cut hay. It would be nice to run trap lines every day.

buckpasser

I don’t have time to do it myself
One of the reasons I don’t get on here and respond. Figured if someone was willing to do it they would let me know. I know it cost money I’m not expecting it to be free. I need the coyotes trapped mostly. I’m raising over 300 thousand chickens and 100 cows and trying to cut hay. It would be nice to run trap lines every day.

Check that list. If I was closer I’d be glad to help. I’ll try to look it up for you.

dfurdennis

I agree somewhat. The reason I try to encourage everyone that asks about a trapper to learn to trap themselves is to recruit new trappers. Some people can't get to their leased land to trap because they live a long ways off. And I understand that. But if they can get there to set and check traps then there is another trapper in the ranks. Trapping is a dying art. A few more years and there won't be any of us left.

There is definitely nothing wrong with hiring a trapper. But most people don't realize the costs involved. I would love to see another new trapper on here. And think of the enjoyment we get out of it answering their questions!!!!
Agreed, I was taught by a guy on our lease he got out and I took over the trapping. I look more forward to trapping season than I do deer season....nothing quite like rolling up on a yote or a bobcat you pursuaded to step where you wanted to make him step.... definitely a great challenge a a great way to stay in the woods after deer season