Trapping a Boar Hawg

madsam

I have been trapping hogs for awhile. Most of the time its females with babies I catch. I have a lone
male that has been hammering old acorns and etc. He will not go in my trap. Any ideas ??? O'yea,
I use corn and occasional strawberry jello for bait.

madsam

Actually, he paid me another visit last night.Almost seems like he keeps
the same schedule. About every 2 days.

j_seph

Big Fast Mean Dog, then he will run into it for protection. LoL

Sounds like he has done seen others in a trap or done had an experience with a trap.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
The big ones I have caught have been in a much larger trap , almost like they don’t know it’s even there , but they will go in one like yours also , I’ve seen others catch some big ones in a trap very similar , good luck

oldways

He may go in there and I'm not going to say he won't But he is a big hog 300 plus boar and you catch him in there consider yourself lucky. I have a corral style trap and have trouble getting a big boar inside they will usually go right to the gate and stop. Good Luck and I hope you get him

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Ol big boy probably ain't going in that small trap, under any circumstances...

The only way I have ever seen Ol Big Boy trapped, is in a corral type.

Using a cute little hot sow for bait...

stonecreek

Well I got 3 about the same size. Have caught almost 75 this year. Mostly sows and pigs tho. Have not caught a mature boar in one this year.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hogs are smart, but keep trying......nice trap. Better chance with a bigger corral style trap, but I’d just keep catching what you can with that one. Set up at night n shoot the boar! He comes to the bait, put a light out there.

Darkhorse

This one did the same thing, he would come to the door and stop. This was a nightly routine for about 2 weeks until I decided to try something else. I bought a sack of those little donuts in powdered sugar. I broke them up into 3rds and scattered them around for a night or two, then I tossed a handful into the trap.
He came right in but his big butt would hit the door and set off the trap. Instead of going in he would just back out then stand at the door looking mournful. I reset my trail cam to video and saw what was happening so I modified the door and trigger. Got him that night.
He just couldn't resist those sugar coated donuts.
Big-Boar-1.jpg