Trapping in red clay

cj580guitar

I use the freedom brand drags and jc Conner drags. Run about 10-12 ft of chain and when you make a set go ahead and pre hook it to some brush or saplings. I’ve only lost 1 trap with a drag so that’s why I’m lolking into getting a trapline dog this year.

furtaker

I love using drags as well. I use MB Trailblazers and FB Sabertooths on 8-10ft of chain. Just make sure there is plenty of brush nearby so you won't lose your catch.

mossyoakpro

About all I can find is red clay , and I bought the fox hollow anchors with chain and a $50 driver . And I just got done digging up 15 traps with post hole diggers . Only way I’ve found to get them up and it ain’t no fun . What kind of drags are y’all using ? I’m looking for something a little easier

I started using drags some this past season...I really like them for the fact that the animal gets away from the set without tearing it up. I did lose a large critter (either coyote or cat) last season but I know they pulled out of the trap instead of running off with the drag, I just never found my trap and drag. It was in a really thick field edge so there was no way they drug it through that stuff. I am using the Sabertooth drag, there are some good ones out there including JC Connor's tracker drags. I put 10 feet of #3 chain on it and try my best to wrap it if possible...I'm probably going to mostly drags this next season for the ease of sets as there is no beating and banging on anchors. Best of luck!!!

furtaker

About all I can find is red clay , and I bought the fox hollow anchors with chain and a $50 driver . And I just got done digging up 15 traps with post hole diggers . Only way I’ve found to get them up and it ain’t no fun . What kind of drags are y’all using ? I’m looking for something a little easier
You need another method for sure. I tried it that way for a while and it got old in a hurry. They make stake pullers but I've never used one. As Doug said, I've also heard of people drilling down beside the anchor with an auger on the drill and pulling them out. When I'm not using drags, I double stake with 18in rebar. A little twisting and tugging with a pair of channel locks and they pull right out. Much easier than post hole diggers.

Doug B.

The auger m
You need another method for sure. I tried it that way for a while and it got old in a hurry. They make stake pullers but I've never used one. As Doug said, I've also heard of people drilling down beside the anchor with an auger on the drill and pulling them out. When I'm not using drags, I double stake with 18in rebar. A little twisting and tugging with a pair of channel locks and they pull right out. Much easier than post hole diggers.
The auger sure does make it a lot easier. Sometimes I may have to drill down on two sides, but if you keep it close to the stake it will pull out with all ease.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
My uncle has a machine shop and I took him a picture of the stake puller that southern snares sales and had one built and it works but I broke 2 chains the first time I used it . So I just started digging them up . I’ll have a better plan and set up before long , glad throwback started this thread ! We are in the same county so I know exactly what he’s talking about

Doug B.

My uncle has a machine shop and I took him a picture of the stake puller that southern snares sales and had one built and it works but I broke 2 chains the first time I used it . So I just started digging them up . I’ll have a better plan and set up before long , glad throwback started this thread ! We are in the same county so I know exactly what he’s talking about
Try an auger. Even in red clay it will make pulling it easier. The key is drilling it as close as you can to the stake.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I would recommend a 2" auger.
Thanks , I was gonna order one when I ordered all of my supplies but they were out of stock and I had already spent to much anyway , I’ll get me one with my next order !

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I love using drags as well. I use MB Trailblazers and FB Sabertooths on 8-10ft of chain. Just make sure there is plenty of brush nearby so you won't lose your catch.
That’s my problem I trap a cow pasture. A BIG one