Trapping in red clay

I cut my trapping teeth as a youngster in North Ga. in red clay. I thought at the time (before coyotes) that a 12" angle iron stake would hold anything. Then I moved to south Ga. Adjustments had to be made. But, we still have pockets of serious red clay here as well!

DLH_Woodstock

I just started trapping about 5 years ago and I have found it's easier to move into the woods and out of the fields and heat. I still set on the cross roads of the powerline so I understand what your talking about. I use Berkshire HD disposable stakes and sometimes I bend the J hook and leave the cable so I can come back to it later. FYI if you leave it in the ground all year I would be careful reusing it. I tried to pulled one out of the ground last week and broke it. Just saying. I am finding more success on the roads in the woods.

280 Man

Banned
I just started trapping about 5 years ago and I have found it's easier to move into the woods and out of the fields and heat. I still set on the cross roads of the powerline so I understand what your talking about. I use Berkshire HD disposable stakes and sometimes I bend the J hook and leave the cable so I can come back to it later. FYI if you leave it in the ground all year I would be careful reusing it. I tried to pulled one out of the ground last week and broke it. Just saying. I am finding more success on the roads in the woods.

I always check the wolf fangs that I have left in the ground before using them again! I used those Berkshires before and don't care for them!

280 Man

Banned
Did you have a problem with them? Always wanting to learn.

The issue I had was driving them into the ground during the late spring and summer. The driver would straighten the tips out in the hard ground. We have hard clay in most places with some rocky areas!

The wolf fangs solved my issue!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Been thinking of using drags exclusively. I can’t physically deal with stakes or even disposable stakes anymore

Doug B.

Thankfully it is mostly black dirt farmland where I trap. I use Wolf Fang cable stakes with about 12 inches of cable. They hold really good and if I get one that is stubborn to get out then I drill a 2 inch hole with an auger down beside it. Problem solved!

There is a few places that is red clay. The Wolf Fangs go in with no problems and the auger helps get them out there as well.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I’ve been using drags this last year for about 75% of my sets. Working my way to using them 100% of the time. Gonna get a trapline dog to use also this next year.
Yeah I’m probably gonna get a member cur or similar in about a year for that and other reasons

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
About all I can find is red clay , and I bought the fox hollow anchors with chain and a $50 driver . And I just got done digging up 15 traps with post hole diggers . Only way I’ve found to get them up and it ain’t no fun . What kind of drags are y’all using ? I’m looking for something a little easier

280 Man

Banned
About all I can find is red clay , and I bought the fox hollow anchors with chain and a $50 driver . And I just got done digging up 15 traps with post hole diggers . Only way I’ve found to get them up and it ain’t no fun . What kind of drags are y’all using ? I’m looking for something a little easier

Those fox hollow's look like a good anchor but they sure are expensive! I use the wolf fangs and depending on where you buy them they are about a dollar per. I mark that spot somehow and just leave um in the ground a reuse them if I wanna throw a trap in the ground at that spot again!

I've wanted to try "drags" but just can't seem to bring myself to try them!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Those fox hollow's look like a good anchor but they sure are expensive! I use the wolf fangs and depending on where you buy them they are about a dollar per. I mark that spot somehow and just leave um in the ground a reuse them if I wanna throw a trap in the ground at that spot again!

I've wanted to try "drags" but just can't seem to bring myself to try them!
I was thinking of adding a little more chain to some and chaining them to a tree or fence post when it’s an option