Trapping you own land in Georgia laws

Bigtimber

What are the laws about trapping your own land in Georgia? Permits required? Any informations would be appreciated. Thanks

buckpasser

License required for trapping. Seasons must be observed, but I think there’s a proximity to home loophole to nuisance trap out of furbearer season. Someone correct me if I’m wrong on that.

Also, beavers and coyotes are fair game all the time.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Bigtimber, if you decide to give it a try, you will find a bunch of folks here willing to help you.

I have gone trapping crazy in the last month and a half, starting from scratch.

My journey so far has been well documented here, so much so that I am a little embarrassed at the amount of space I have took up... ?

But I have had some good success (for such a rookie) and I am learning a lot, and having a blast messing with my traps.

I will be glad to help ya if you take it on!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
@Bigtimber, if you decide to give it a try, you will find a bunch of folks here willing to help you.

I have gone trapping crazy in the last month and a half, starting from scratch.

My journey so far has been well documented here, so much so that I am a little embarrassed at the amount of space I have took up... ?

But I have had some good success (for such a rookie) and I am learning a lot, and having a blast messing with my traps.

I will be glad to help ya if you take it on!
Good job railroader, don’t be embarrassed ! I was you last year and still learning from these great trappers . I wanted to focus my efforts on this time of the year . Maybe help the fawns and poults a little more . I’m about to get them in the ground

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Good job railroader, don’t be embarrassed ! I was you last year and still learning from these great trappers . I wanted to focus my efforts on this time of the year . Maybe help the fawns and poults a little more . I’m about to get them in the ground

Well, I'll be glad to have some company!!! I'll be watching, so gimme the play by play...

buckpasser

Same here at the plantation. I’m about to hit the coyotes as hard as possible beginning in about 2-3 weeks.

The regs are a good place to start. If you really want to know the laws behind the regs read title 27, chapter 3, Article 2 of the Official Code of Georgia: Trapping Laws

27-3-60 (B) Required commercial trapping license: "A landowner or a member of his immediate family desiring to trap on the landowner's private property may obtain a license for such purpose annually from the department at no charge."

27-3-62 (d) Open Seasons: "Notwithstanding subsection (a) or (b) of this Code section, it shall be lawful to trap beaver, rats, and mice at any time during the year. It shall also be lawful for any person to set steel traps within 200 yards of the residence or dwelling of any such person for the protection of livestock, ratites, poultry, or other fowl or domestic animals from any predatory bird or animal."

Bigtimber

Thanks....so how long does it generally take to get your permit? I applied today?

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Thanks....so how long does it generally take to get your permit? I applied today?
2 weeks max depending on USPS and assuming there are not any problems with your application. They’re much quicker getting them out than they were many years ago

Got mine a few weeks ago (renewal)