Traps for coyotes

Mark K

Banned
Georgia law requires number 2 or not having a jaw spread of 5.75”
Bunch of different brands of traps that are good. I use MB550’s.
As far as bait goes, there’s a lot of good baits on the market and all generally work at one point. I like Cavens Hiawatha Valley as far as commercial bait goes.
Natural baits work as well. Quail remains will produce. Rabbits will produce. Catch a bobcat and use the meat off of it.

cj580guitar

I like the K-9 extreme jr trap. As far as bait and lure there are a lot of good choices out there. Check out Southern Snare and Supply, Phillips Outdoors and Wayne Derrick at Derricks Lures.

jakebuddy

Mb 550 best trap made hands down. Southern snare and supply makes capital punishment I’ve used among a dozen others all will attract animals. How and where you make your sets is more important than most expensive baits and lures, just don’t use cheap traps.

Jake Allen

I like MB550 and 450's.

Mark K

Banned
Forgive me for butting in OP, but for the guys using MB450’s, do they hold coyotes and bobcats without pullouts. I mean have you lost any or not catch any that you could tell by tracks or sign? Always wanted to buy a dozen, figured they’d be easier to bed and set compared to the 550.

CritterCatcher

Forgive me for butting in OP, but for the guys using MB450’s, do they hold coyotes and bobcats without pullouts. I mean have you lost any or not catch any that you could tell by tracks or sign? Always wanted to buy a dozen, figured they’d be easier to bed and set compared to the 550.

Can't definitively say that they do or don't as this is my first year trying them, but I bought a dozen because Jerry Lee told me that's what he uses. That's good enough for me.

fatback

I’ve never had a problem with pull outs. I typically run 18-24 traps in my line, so a pretty small sample size but I usually catch 6-8 coyotes and few cats every season along with quite a few gray foxes. I’m trapping on about 200 acres. I’ve been pleased with both the regular and the off sets.

Yes the 450s do just fine on coyotes. I caught several in them last year when targeting fox.

As far as the original posts its all up to you. I like the MB 550s but dot some of the Duke 550s to try. As far as bait, last year was my first season in Georgia. I'm Originally from West Texas and I had to get used to the rain. I was also trapping out of a car! But I ended up having my best season yet! I was testing bait for Dustin Koch with Trapshed Supply Company based out of Marietta Georgia! Cant wait for this seeason@