Tree cutting

Hammockben1

I have a swamp on my property and I am wanting to thin some trees out. The problem I having is finding out if it’s against the law to thin out the small trees in the swamp. Does anyone know the law on cutting down trees in a wetland area on private property?

Anvil Head

Tread carefully with who you talk to. The watershed/wetlands activist bunch can cause you unbelievable grief. Beavers have more rights than you, even though they cause more major property damage than most any other animal around. And yes, there are laws complex enough that you will be at fault no matter which way you handle the situation. Check closely before you pay for permits (another form of taxing the individual to support the givment) you may not even be able to use.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have a swamp on my property and I am wanting to thin some trees out. The problem I having is finding out if it’s against the law to thin out the small trees in the swamp. Does anyone know the law on cutting down trees in a wetland area on private property?

Use to be you could cut the tree but couldn't remove the stump. Contact the local USDA-NRCS office. Might be listed as FSA office. They can point you in the right direction.
Talk with the NRCS agent not the people that answer the phone.

SASS249

Use to be you could cut the tree but couldn't remove the stump. Contact the local USDA-NRCS office. Might be listed as FSA office. They can point you in the right direction.
Talk with the NRCS agent not the people that answer the phone.

This is the best answer. It is very likely you will be able to do what you want. However, if for some reason you have a situation where certain things are prohibited it is much better to know ahead of time. This is NOT a situation where it is better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Jim Baker

Staff member
If it was my property, my swamp, I'd cut what I wanted to. That's just me.

Had a friend build a half acre pond. He backed up a small branch. No permit. I think the fine was around $30,000.00. As said above, better to get permission first when dealing with "wetlands".

Reactions: srb

tree cutter 08

Yall are probably right but it wouldn't settle with me for government agency to tell me I couldn't cut trees on my own property. Certain areas we work homeowners have to get permission to cut trees for various reasons. They either have to do with homeowners association's or ga power land around lakes.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yall are probably right but it wouldn't settle with me for government agency to tell me I couldn't cut trees on my own property. .

Planning and Zoning departments are government agencies. They exist to regulate what you do on your own property.

tree cutter 08

Planning and Zoning departments are government agencies. They exist to regulate what you do on your own property.
I know that but what I'm saying is I'm cutting trees on my own property if I want to regardless of what they say. I'll be hanging on to my guns also one day when they come knocking for them. I'm getting off topic now.

Hammockben1

See it blows my mind cause I only hot to thin out trees and get the smaller stuff out and leave big trees but it’s insane I have to get permission to cut my own trees down

Kev

You could say you are managing your forest for silvicultural purposes. If you are doing that, then all you have to do is follow Georgia’s Best Managment Practices (BMP’s). There is a BMP manual that can guide you in the right direction, just look it up.