Tree identification

dkennedy

Not exactly sure what kind of tree this is, can anyone help identify it? It's was in Thomas County. The base was rotten and the last storm blew it over one of our roads so we are turning into firewood. Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• 8423.jpeg
    8423.jpeg
    253.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 8427.jpeg
    8427.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 162

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Red maple. That type used to be listed by some botanists as Acer rubrum var. triloba.

dkennedy

Perfect, Thank you!!!

AliBubba

All - Google Lens is an app that can identify lots of things including plants based on your phone's camera. It's about 80% accurate... give it a try.

spencer12

All - Google Lens is an app that can identify lots of things including plants based on your phone's camera. It's about 80% accurate... give it a try.
Heard of this but didn’t know the name. I wanted it for this exact reason. Thanks for sharing the name. Is it a free app?

dkennedy

I'll give it a shot, thank you for the info!!

Jim Boyd

Red maple. That type used to be listed by some botanists as Acer rubrum var. triloba.

NCHB knows his trees and plants very well - but he does not like a John Deere!

Great work, NCHB.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCHB knows his trees and plants very well - but he does not like a John Deere!

Great work, NCHB.
I wouldn't turn down one if you bring it over. :)

Hillbilly stalker

Aren’t those red maple bad about having above ground roots ? The one on my back yard is. Good shade tree, but them roots are aggravating .

35 Whelen

PictureThis is a plant identification app that works well, however it is not free.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Aren’t those red maple bad about having above ground roots ? The one on my back yard is. Good shade tree, but them roots are aggravating .
Yes, they have an enormous root system that can be problematic around your house.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I use seek and it works great! Let’s you take and save pics too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
NCHB is more than 80% accurate...?
I'm pretty useless with a lot of the coastal plain stuff. Mountain and Piedmont plants are what I'm familiar with.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be happy with just 20% of the plant knowledge he has forgotten... :bounce:
It's just what I do for a living. Electricians know about 'lectricity. Mechanics know about engines. Horticulturists know plants. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

buckpasser

Red Maples budding out are my favorite “indicator” that I’m about to be chasing gobbling turkeys. Around here they’re usually not growing too far from the roost.