Tree stand gun for hogs

mtramm

I wouldnt say dead set, I like the idea of a compact SBR but 16 might be fine depending in how much power the caliber loses in the under 16. Not interested if I am going to neuter the round.

transfixer

I wouldnt say dead set, I like the idea of a compact SBR but 16 might be fine depending in how much power the caliber loses in the under 16. Not interested if I am going to neuter the round.

You'll obviously get more velocity from a 16in barrel than a shorter one, it really depends on the distance you intend to use one at . For 100yds or under, most calibers will still have plenty of punch and speed with a 10in barrel, depending on the caliber you can figure on losing 25-50fps for each inch you shorten from 16, so if a round gets 2300fps from a 16in barrel, then at the most you're down to 2000fps roughly with a 10in.

chrislibby88

I think I would like to get a compact, shorter than 16" barrel AR15/M5 to use in a tree stand or blind. I would use it mainly for hogs (or deer).
I cant typically see farther than 50-150 yards. I'm thinking 8-12 inch barrel in 300 blackout or 6.8SPC II. If I am reading right, most of the other AR15 calibers want full length barrels. I can readily find 6.8SPC on the store shelves but havent seen any 300 blackout in months. So if I built today, an 11.5" SPCII pistol that might grow up to be a SBR leads. My 2nd thought was a 10" 300BLK barrel with a suppressor?
Do any of you use this setup? Is this sufficient for DRT shots of would this be a waste?
Get the 6.8, .350, or .450. Gonna get the most versatility with a 6.8 with 12-14 inch barrel. .350 would be a close second. .450 would be beast too.
Blackout is good for shooting suppressed out of short barrels, that’s about it. It’s cheaper to convert- you only need a new barrel. 5.56 bolt and mags work with blackout.

350 will require a new barrel and mags.

The 6.8 and .450 require new bolts, barrels, and new mags.

Falcata

I’ve been hunting pigs and deer with a 300 BO pistol for the last 2-3 years (7.5 in barrel). Ive made shots from 10 to 75 yards with Barnes 120 grain ammo and it has been very effective. Since I walk a lot hunting pigs I wanted something light and easy to carry. When I need something with a bit more range I use a .308 pistol with a 12 inch barrel. It’s a little heavier but is good to 150 - 200 yards.

mtramm

After reading (a lot) and roaming the local gun stores, 350 Legend was the sweet spot for me. Seems to have the punch and I can get ammo (for now at least) readily and at decent prices. (saw $19-$33 a box)
Went with a 10.5 inch (with a can) for a pistol build. Havent decided if I want to pay the stamp or not to add a stock but leaning toward it.

450 was 2nd. I prefer its punch but the 2 cons for me were price and availability.

I could find 6.8 on the shelf but not as much and it ran just a little higher than 350. 6.5 Grendel was the same, a little hard to tell these two apart. But, I own a .243 and I think I would reach for it before 6.8 or 6.5.

That was my thoughts anyway...Thanks for all the great advice.

btw...one resource that helped me was a video on youtube where a 350 Legend barrel is cut down inch by inch and muzzle velocities recorded...cool video

Last edited:

transfixer

I discovered something this past week when I was at the club during thanksgiving, I have had a quantity of Brown Bear 125gr soft points for years,, decided to take a couple boxes with me to sight in a 1.5x6 optic I put on my 10in barreled 7.62x39 pistol, much to my surprise the rounds were very accurate and consistent ! shooting off sandbags once I dialed it in, I was pretty much one holing 3 shots at 50yds,, and 3 shots into just slightly more than 1in at 100yds, I don't know how those soft points will expand on an animal ,, but I am more than impressed with their accuracy, its on par with the Hornady Black sst's that I was using for hunting up till now.

I plan on using only it to hunt with the rest of the year, so maybe I'll find out how they perform,

transfixer

7.62x39 is another round that I saw plenty of stock on the shelf and at good prices

unfortunately what you mainly see on shelves now is fmj,, and while the prices aren't bad compared to other calibers, its roughly twice the price is used to be. It can still be found online if you're persistent,, and actually found some Barnaul softpoint stuff a couple months ago and picked up another 500rds.

furtaker

I discovered something this past week when I was at the club during thanksgiving, I have had a quantity of Brown Bear 125gr soft points for years,, decided to take a couple boxes with me to sight in a 1.5x6 optic I put on my 10in barreled 7.62x39 pistol, much to my surprise the rounds were very accurate and consistent ! shooting off sandbags once I dialed it in, I was pretty much one holing 3 shots at 50yds,, and 3 shots into just slightly more than 1in at 100yds, I don't know how those soft points will expand on an animal ,, but I am more than impressed with their accuracy, its on par with the Hornady Black sst's that I was using for hunting up till now.

I plan on using only it to hunt with the rest of the year, so maybe I'll find out how they perform,
My 7.62x39 AR shoots most of the cheap Russian stuff very well. Better than some of the higher quality brass stuff.

mtramm

I have a 308 that gets the tightest groups in the 165-170 grain range. I've tested from upper 140s to 180s...147gr gets about 3" at 100 yards, 168 grain is under 1" Brand and type of bullet doesn't seem to matter.

transfixer

I have a 308 that gets the tightest groups in the 165-170 grain range. I've tested from upper 140s to 180s...147gr gets about 3" at 100 yards, 168 grain is under 1" Brand and type of bullet doesn't seem to matter.

that is likely because the rate of twist is 1 in 10in,, which lends itself to bullets in that grain range, if it were 1 in 12 it would likely shoot the 147gr and 150gr more accurately than the heavier ones

mtramm

Ah, I usually buy what my budget allows and don't pay enough attention to the twist rates, which I need to change. Glad I lucked into a heavier one than a lighter. How much impact would that have in a short (10.5) barrel? Looks like what I have coming is a 1:16 twist on the 350L

Last edited:

transfixer

Ah, I usually buy what my budget allows and don't pay enough attention to the twist rates, which I need to change. Glad I lucked into a heavier one than a lighter. How much impact would that have in a short (10.5) barrel? Looks like what I have coming is a 1:16 twist on the 350L

that is probably correct for the legend, not as much variation on twist with some of the slower moving calibers,, and the fact that the bullet weight range for that caliber isn't that varied, with a .308 you can shoot anything from a 110gr to a 220gr, that is the reason for the varied twists you'll find with most of those rifles

ldavid008

In 16" barrels the 6.8 will out perform the grendel.

6.8 was developed for short barrels and nothing is gained by going over 18". Going from 16" to 18" is also fairly minimal.

Grendel on the other hand does best in longer barrels. Look deeper in the grendels published numbers and you'll see that its "better" numbers are out of a 24" barrel. If you research the grendel you'll inevitably see a comparsion between the two with the grendel on top. Again, dig into the numbers, it's usually a 22" or 24" grendel vs a 16" 6.8.

In GA you pretty much have to stay at 11" or less to get keep it a legal pistol, under 26". Guys in TX use 12.5" 6.8's successfully out to 250+ yards all the time. I'd expect a 10.5" would be more than adequate at 150 yards.

If you plan on going SBR, I'd go 12.5" 6.8 in an ARP barrel. Besides the extra money and paperwork, keep in mind that you must have prior approval from the ATF to take it out of the state.

As others have said, if you go below 16", then you're gonna want a suppressor or hearing protection. 10.5" barrels are brutal on the ears unprotected.

Permitchaser

I like my Savage Patrol AR. I load 77 gr. BTH and I can get less than 1/2" at 100 yds. I've shot Coyotes with it and a head on shot at about 100 yds goes from front out the back. Can't imagine it won't kill a pig but I've never tried

frankwright

One of the things I like about pigs is there are so many fun guns to shoot them with.
My hunting partner and I have killed them with Longbow and recurve, .22 Mag, 17 HMR, .223, .30 carbine, 10mm Glock, 30-06, .300 Blk Out, 12 ga while turkey hunting,45-70 and some others I can't think of right now.
I just ordered a 16" 7.62X39 AR upper for a few places where the shots are a little longer.
I hope to be getting after them in the next week or so if I get the feeders and stands up and running.