Trekking pole?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We used to make them out of American hornbeam aka ironwood as kids. Now those things are stiff. My brother and I made one in middle school for our dad that he used daily for about 10 years until he died.
I have one made from ironwood that was vine twisted and has a knot near the bottom. I think I could club a bear to death with it.

sasmojoe

I bought a pair of collapsible ones from Walmart. They may not be the best but they get the job done. When they tear up go buy some more.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
As far as the use of trekking poles, I have become a believer. Especially when loaded with a pack, they make a tremendous difference in how I climb and how I feel after I've finished the climb. Instead of all the work being done by my legs and back, trekking poles let me distribute the work load to my arms as well. On steep terrain, it's almost like having 4wd. I never saw the need for them, until I actually used them and saw their utility.

chrislibby88

I'm not much on a sling. I like to carry my rifle cradled in my arms ready to go while walking.
Get some QD cups or sling studs installed on the side of the forearm and the buttstock, and you can carry it across your chest with a 2 point quick adjust sling.

chrislibby88

Killed the biggest buck of my life still hunting. Jumped up 10 yards away with a doe, I grunted, he stopped,turned and looked...bang. Never could have done that toting anything but my gun in my hands. Carry a hickory walking stick religiously scouting but not hunting.
That’s why I was thinking about a collapsible one, so I can use it climbing up or down the steep slopes, then fold/collapse it down and strap it on my pack while I’m stalking down a ridge, or through saddles. You don’t really need one once you get up on the top roll of ridges usually, but they are niiice in the steep stuff.

fatback

I got an email today from Kenetrek boot company and they have collapseable trekking poles on sale for 20% off. Not sure what the price is but I’m sure it is on their website. Their boots are top notch not sure about these trekking poles though.

Buckman18

Back when I was a real man framing houses to pay for college, I used to wonder how a pole would help. Now that I'm a washed up 40 year old has been who works in an office, I completely get it, especially while wearing a heavy pack.