Tried my hand at crow hunting

Rich M

We used to hunt crows from the wood edges w record player and megaphone. Fun stuff.

We had ground decoys and made cardboard decoys for trees. Hung em w fish line and let em flap in breeze.

Would get a large bombardment of crows at first and had to reset after a flurry of activity as the crows wouldn't return. Move 1/4 mile and restart, they'd come right back in again.

Like the layout blind idea.

We used to hunt crows from the wood edges w record player and megaphone. Fun stuff.

We had ground decoys and made cardboard decoys for trees. Hung em w fish line and let em flap in breeze.

Would get a large bombardment of crows at first and had to reset after a flurry of activity as the crows wouldn't return. Move 1/4 mile and restart, they'd come right back in again.

Like the layout blind idea.
I have pecan trees in my yard and I love watching the crows and listening to them if you watch them long enough they actual comical to watch set on my back porch/glass roor and watch them every morning while having my coffee.

Uptonongood

Crows were the only bird my Lab refused to pick up. After killing the first one I quit, I figured she knew something I didn't!

Old Yapper

Crows are real smart. They will pass their knowledge to their young.

They will also triangulate song bird locations over time to find the nests and kill the young.
Crows are VERY VERY intelligent and crafty.
I started hunting and studying crows when I was 12 years old. That's been over 65 years ago and I'm still at it....a little. (just don't get around as well anymore)
Getting good with that call (that you used to could buy at Sears for a dollar) is part of the deal, but the main thing is being concealed. Camo is almost a must.
I've only seen crows "conduct a funeral" once in all those years and that was before the days of video cameras. All we had back then were 8MM movie cameras and I was too poor for that.
Crows doing a funeral is an amazing thing to see. Lucky is the person who gets to see one because as usual, the crows have a lookout crow way up there somewhere spotting for danger. I'm guessing it's a very "private, secret" thing with them...who knows??
They will gather around the dead crow in a circle and march around and around the body making little "mewing type" sounds while they are marching. Then suddenly they will all make loud squawking noises and fly off together.
As you can tell, my fascination with crows has lasted for a long, long. time.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Crows are VERY VERY intelligent and crafty.
I started hunting and studying crows when I was 12 years old. That's been over 65 years ago and I'm still at it....a little. (just don't get around as well anymore)
Getting good with that call (that you used to could buy at Sears for a dollar) is part of the deal, but the main thing is being concealed. Camo is almost a must.
I've only seen crows "conduct a funeral" once in all those years and that was before the days of video cameras. All we had back then were 8MM movie cameras and I was too poor for that.
Crows doing a funeral is an amazing thing to see. Lucky is the person who gets to see one because as usual, the crows have a lookout crow way up there somewhere spotting for danger. I'm guessing it's a very "private, secret" thing with them...who knows??
They will gather around the dead crow in a circle and march around and around the body making little "mewing type" sounds while they are marching. Then suddenly they will all make loud squawking noises and fly off together.
As you can tell, my fascination with crows has lasted for a long, long. time.

Wow, never heard/witnessed such !! Thanks for posting !

sleepr71

It’s a lot of fun. I’ve found that Head-to-Toe Camo(especially Face + Hands) is a MUST!! Just like Turkey hunting. Also,IF you can call them to smaller openings(that you can cover with a shotgun) & set up your Owl Decoy on the Opposite side of the opening..up on a stick...that diverts their attention away from you & gives you an easier target. As you kill a few...place them on the ground below the Owl...giving the impression that the Owl has killed those Crows.! Drives them crazy. Treat them like Ducks...give ‘em a chance to come down lower...closer...then shoot! They’re pretty tough...I liked to use a Modified choke & # 6 ,or #4 shot when I used to do it a lot. We would try to find head high grass & brush to stand in..then hollow us out a hole to shoot from. That way you are hidden until they get right over you & you can quickly spin 360* & shoot. Not sure if they are still accessible,but if you get a chance...check out some of Jerry Tomlinson’s old videos! He was a crow killing machine. RIP Jerry ???

gemihur

The trick is to wound the first crow.
It's cries will assure you of an unlimited supply of targets

ChidJ

Is there a purpose for hunting crows besides fun? Pest control? For all those who said they'd eat crow when X event comes to pass? Just curious

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Watched a video on tv about crows and eating crows. Cook said the meat was dark and dense, not his favorite for sure. Read a thing about crows that said, if you see sick or dead crows, west nile was present.

Hillbilly stalker

I shot the old spy crow out of the garden one year. I finally talked maw maw into cooking it. That thing stunk up the whole house. Paw paw flew into cussing and he chunked it out in the yard, cur dog went over there and smelled it.....and walked off. (n)

nc dawg

they like bullfrogs too,flip em over on their back,peck out and eat the liver that’s all..leave the rest..they also like to kill and eat baby turkeys.my young son killed all of em around the house they got in his cornhole bags then pooped all over his nice bass boat up under the carport.took about two weeks before I seen any.?

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Is there a purpose for hunting crows besides fun? Pest control? For all those who said they'd eat crow when X event comes to pass? Just curious

I'm not really a fan of killing something for the fun of it. If you are trying to mitigate a specific damage issue or controlling invasive exotics, I've got no problem with killing something you don't intend to eat. Killing them for no other purpose than recreation just doesn't sit right on my stomach.

Beagler

I’d rather crow hunt then deer hunt, i use decoys, calls and full camo. Then i use the crow for bait for yotes.

Joe Brandon

My mom sent me an article once about the family structure of crows, they actually mate for life and stay together as a family. Ever since then Ive viewed them differently. Yes they tell on me sometimes but if I'm real still and quite they'll tell on the critters, just like the squirrels do.