Tried my hand at some crow hunting

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Fun hunting ! We should all be doing it

ghadarits

I do a lot of crow hunting during waterfowl season after duck hunting. It’s a lot of fun that not too many people get into.
Short pine trees are your friend. It’s been my experience that crows will stay around tree top height when investigating a disturbance or something so shorter trees equals closer birds and therefore easier shots. Crows are tough birds.

Last edited:

CCSAR22

one cripple will bring in more crows than 100 decoys. If they are flopping around and calling, you better have a good supply of shells, and a healthy shoulder
I noticed that with the one crippled one I had. Seemed to really get the others in.

CCSAR22

I do a lot of crow hunting during waterfowl season after duck hunting. It’s a lot of fun that not too many people get into.
Short pine trees are your friend. It’s been my experience that crows will stay around tree top height when investigating a disturbance or something so shorter trees equals closer birds and therefore easier shots. Crows are tough birds.
Awesome. I have a few short pines that I can set up around.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we usually put out an owl decoy on a tree limb, and hang a few pieces of black plastic around him before we start to call. If you can get a cripple in around that, you will have the time of your life.

Years ago, we were shooting crows, and a friend winged one. It couldn't fly with just one good wing, and spiraled into a pine tree about 15 yards from where I was stationed. It was flopping its good wing, and cawing at the top of its lungs. We would blow a call just every once in a while when the action slowed.

IIRC, we killed over 20 crows at that one spot. Total time set up was less than 15 to 20 minutes

CCSAR22

we usually put out an owl decoy on a tree limb, and hang a few pieces of black plastic around him before we start to call. If you can get a cripple in around that, you will have the time of your life.

Years ago, we were shooting crows, and a friend winged one. It couldn't fly with just one good wing, and spiraled into a pine tree about 15 yards from where I was stationed. It was flopping its good wing, and cawing at the top of its lungs. We would blow a call just every once in a while when the action slowed.

IIRC, we killed over 20 crows at that one spot. Total time set up was less than 15 to 20 minutes
If this rain let’s up soon, I might try my luck a little more and see if I can get one to bring in the group.

gsppurist

Looks remarkably like Ft Benning. When I used to hunt crows there, After turning on the call, a hawk was usually the first to buzz the spread. Followed by the crows. Good Luck.