Trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I lived up in N.Dakota for 10 years and went to Stugis every year and it was always the best riding a biker could dream for. We rodeSpearfish canyon everyday,rode out to Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore. I always loved riding there and miss it now,but I don't miss cold weather,windchills and snow.

Your comment about the snow made me remember something about the trip I had forgotten. We drove a lot during the trip and were continually seeing the short stretches of unattached fences built in the pastures and fields along the highways. I figured it was to give the cattle and horses somewhere to get out of snow drifts. But I learned by asking that it was something the DOT folks do to keep snowdrifts from blocking the highways. :hair:

Reminder to self............. stay AWAY from the Dakotas in the winter :bounce:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
That is some beautifal country! looks like it was fun!

it was fun, and most of the area we saw was beautiful. The Black Hills are kind of an oasis. They are surrounded by the desolation of the plains, especially desolate to the north toward ND.

B. White

I might make a run to this park while folks are afraid to fly. Has anyone made the trip in recent years and flown into a bigger airport that had reasonable hotels nearby? i would probably have 4 days.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Sioux Falls is in the eastern end of the state. I’d fly into it and rent a car and drive out to Rapid City. You could fly back out of Rapid City. It’s roughly 300 miles but there’s stuff to see along the way. Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands, among other things. Driving across that state will make you appreciate the Black Hills a lot more when you get there.
That’s my home state and I90 runs right by my parents house.

turkeykirk

Great photos. Looks like y’all had a fun trip.

Whitefeather

Management Material
I’d recommend waiting until after the Sturgis rally to go though. After that you’ll pretty much have the places to yourself. We always go late August early September

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Wow. Somebody woke up my old thread. Thanks for doing it. I had the opportunity to full-size all the pics in the posts.

bany

We went 10 years ago and were just talking about going back and up pops this thread almost from the same time. What a great place to see and explore!

BassRaider

I did a similar trip in June '17 on a motorcycle. 22 days and 6600 mi. Started in GA, then TN, KY, IL, MO, IA, WI, MN(2days), across SD, WY, MT, UT, CO,KS, and back home. Visited Badlands, Rushmore, Custer (in helo), Deadwood & Sturgis, Cody, Chief Joseph Hwy (Beartooth was snowed in), Yellowstone (2 days), Moab. Temps ranged from 28-109 during trip.
I want to do again but in my truck with the wife & dog. Will post pics if interested.