Trip up Cedar Creek

Jimmy D. Moore

My partner Tom and I launched boat at daybreak at Brushy Branch, caught shad and headed up Cedar Creek. We were searching for cooler waters hoping to get a few Stripers. We managed to catch 2 small stripers. 5 channel cats and 1 f-head catfish that wted 12 lbs. We pulled anchor and Started to release the shad left and I use to feed a owl here yrs back and just wondered if he was still in area. We decided to try to see if he might still be around. I took pliers and held shad overhead and sure nuff he sweeps down and takes shad. He ate 6 shad before he got his fill. Quite a few other guys have feed him over the yrs. He has tryed to take my Florescent float before. I wonder how old he-she actually is. Everything went smooth and had a relaxing trip. Jimmy

Jimmy D. Moore

Have you been past the metal pier that hangs over water from high bank on the right? Take first left past pier, go up to you come to 2 trees laying across creek slightly underwater. You are in his territory. This is quite a distance from BB. In a few places I ran in water one ft. deep. I went with my Yamaha up only deep enough for water pump to pick up and slightly over idle speed. Very shady and cool in the area where the owl resides all way up to bridge on Ga. 100 near Fosters Store that recently closed.

When you refer to the Big Bend I assume you mean the first bend you come to starting up CC. It is quite a distance upstream from there. However there is a small bend right past the metal pier I spoke of earlier. How far have you been upstream? Jimmy

robertyb

Nope, the big bend I was referring to is about a mile upstream when you enter Big Cedar where it narrows down at the overhanging pier you referred to. I do not really consider myself in Big Cedar till I enter the creek where it narrows down. I have been almost to the Fosters Mill Store in my boat but I have canoed it from Cedartown to BB.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Jimmy, the owl may be like GA Bulldawg mascot in that it may be a different owl than started out.

Two years ago we were feeding the owl and its young were also taking shad. The only problem was there were times when you would be looking at one owl and then have another come in from behind you and scare the John Kerry out of you. :rofl:

One few members in the club have taped the owl being fed.

http://www.coosastripers.org/pics.shtml