Tripod Tips

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I am a Climbing Tree Stand Guy. This year I want to hunt some clear cut areas and decided to deploy a lightweight tripod. It is 10’ at eye level. I have never used a tripod, so I am hoping to get some tips on everything tripod. Lesson #1... you got to be level!

What are some other tips you got?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The swivel seat will need lubrication. I use lithium spray lube.

Stake it down with long spikes

If yours has the shooting rail you may want to hang camo material around it.

The attached pic is a tripod I did some customization to. 7A236935-8479-409E-B095-849543B809B3.jpeg

Buford_Dawg

I have several like Milkman illustrates. Found it best to put them over areas where you can see a long ways, such as fresh clear cut or tucked back in woods watching a large food plot or field. Camo around them really helps conceal your movement. I have several at camp I need to deploy this fall myself.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
There's just no way I'm sitting at 10ft eye level in a clearcut, or even spending any money/effort on getting one. But that's just me. On your clearcut though: Those bucks love those clearcuts, but they also like a geographical oddity as much as fish piled up under a log. If there's a group of trees leftover out there or a skinny place (funnel) or even a point, I'd maybe start there. My favorite though, is if there's a low place. A little ditch or a low place crossing a clearcut is deadly. Even if it's just two feet lower. The bucks will follow that low place, count on it.

FlipKing

We use tons of tripods. Camo wrap them, and like said earlier, try to tuck it against at least 1 tree if you can. Makes a big difference. A lot of times the 10ft ones you can carry in and out with one person, which is nice. You can be mobile with it.

frankwright

I have killed a bunch of pigs sitting in a 10' tripod stand and 10' ladder stands. Hogs don't see as well as deer but you cannot get away with any movement just like a deer.
I have killed deer sitting on the ground with my back to a tree so it is surely possible and I would not have a problem with a tripod. If there is any tall bush or tree,of course, try to put it close to it for a little cover.

Buckstop

Just try to set it up where there is a backdrop to break up your outline. The are great in short planted pines and scrub areas. Sometimes there just isn’t a climbable tree or one large enough for a ladder where you need to be. I have 8’ and 10’s and the’ve worked great in the right places. I keep burlap on the shooting rails and leave it down when its calm and roll it up when windy to keep from flapping.

Jim Boyd

We have several and they are as deadly as any other stand.

Does not matter what the stand is, if it is set up in a stupid manner, of course you are gonna get busted.

Basically, it is just one more way to get up off of the ground.

Try it, be smart and kill deer!

Good luck!!!

shdw633

Get a roof system, like the Ameristep model and then add a Chameleon blind over it. This will give you shelter from the elements, especially if you are hunting in a clear cut as well as hide your movements since you are only 10 feet off the ground. I would anchor the blind like Cool Hand Luke suggested and take the fabric down at the end of season so that the wind doesn't wreak havoc with it.

Timberman

limbs off of an artificial Christmas tree make great camo. Wire them so they stick up above the rail. Place shooting holes where you need them.

nmurph

I have an Ameristep (it's 13-14' to the platform??) that has produced several deer since 2013.

Here's my guidance-

Forget the pedestal seat. Put carpet on the deck and get a cheap office chair.

A roof is nice but not necessary. Wrap the platform and wear a camo mask and shirt and use limbs from a Christmas tree or foilage from the crafts section of WM.

Mine sat in a creek bottom for 6 years and suffered several blows from falling limbs and trees. Last year I took it out and put it in the middle of a replanted clearcut, put a mobile home auger-type anchor under the middle, and tied it down with a 2000lb ratchet strap. We had a good storm a month ago that snapped that strap but left the auger in the ground. It fell over but didn't damage it. I like the strap bc it let's me keep the tension adjusted as the stand settles and the strap stretches, but I'm thinking I'm going back with a cable and a turnbuckle.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I am a Climbing Tree Stand Guy. This year I want to hunt some clear cut areas and decided to deploy a lightweight tripod. It is 10’ at eye level. I have never used a tripod, so I am hoping to get some tips on everything tripod. Lesson #1... you got to be level!

What are some other tips you got?
Im buying one of these, I have killed some great bucks sitting on a stump over looking clear cuts!
Find a hill and sit on it, this tripod will be great for longer shots.
But like has been said find a tree and put the tripod up against or lay some small trees to camouflage it!
Wearing a leafy suit will help as well, I’ve started wearing them over hoodies in the fall and early winter.

B21C770E-5A40-4C3F-81B2-AA486E6112CC.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I sat in one at a turn in the rd backed up to a few pines in Bama and It was pretty sweet....only time I sat in one . I came up on my bud while he was in it and he disappeared against those pines that were the same height, maybe a bit taller. I like them in the right places.

nmurph

One problem with tripods is that they flex with every movement. Nothing to worry about on a 60yd shot, but when you stretch the shot to 300 yds it's pretty hard to get steady. I replaced the square tubing cross bracing with 1in conduit. That helped a lot but it still flexes. I'm going to brace the legs with some angle bf next year.