Trolling motor question is 80# enough? Update

Thread starter #1
Want to get a trolling motor for my 20’ boat with a t top. About 4000 pounds loaded.

Will get the motor guide to work with my fishfinder s and Want to use it for holding me over reefs and next to oyster banks.

Is anyone using a 24 volt for my size boat? With the Georgia wind and tides?

Ihunt

I had one on a 18’ bay boat with a t top and it did fine. I stepped up to a 25’ DLV and opted for the 101#.

I think you’ll be fine most days and the days you’re not would probably be too rough anyway.

I've got the MK Riptide 80lb on my Sportsman Masters 207 (20' 4") with a bimini. Works fine, but if the wind is blowing hard and the tide ripping even a 101/112lb won't keep you on a drop.

If you have room for three batteries get the 36 volt 105lb thrust. Trust me, there will be times you're glad you did. I have a 22ft Pathfinder and don't regret buying the 36 volt.

Ihunt

I use the multi bank charger. The only day you will regret buying the 36 volt has passed. The day you had to pay for it. You’ll never “Wish You Had”. Congrats.

So I couldn’t help myself and ended up ordering the 36 volt.

Now I have to figure out how to keep the batteries charged.

Is anyone using one of these

https://www.yandina.com/troll36info.htm

Or is Is everyone still using the on board multi bank chargers?
That thing is pretty cool, and I have heard a lot about using them (or items like them) on THT, and I am seriously considering something like this for mine. I would ask them a couple questions first"

1. Does it prioritize the starting battery?
2. Can it be combined with a multi-bank charger (or is it cable of being a plug in charger itself)?

#2 because I fish more than I run. Charging off the alternator alone does little good if you fish for three hours run for 12 minutes, fish again, and you are only 20 min from the ramp. You want to be able charge from shore power so you start the day with a full charge.

Thread starter #11
That thing is pretty cool, and I have heard a lot about using them (or items like them) on THT, and I am seriously considering something like this for mine. I would ask them a couple questions first"

1. Does it prioritize the starting battery?
2. Can it be combined with a multi-bank charger (or is it cable of being a plug in charger itself)?

#2 because I fish more than I run. Charging off the alternator alone does little good if you fish for three hours run for 12 minutes, fish again, and you are only 20 min from the ramp. You want to be able charge from shore power so you start the day with a full charge.
The way I understand it works is that it switches 3 batteries between series for 36 volts when it sees a draw from the trolling motor and parallel when the motor is off so you can charge them at 12 volts.

It has a combiner built in which works the same way as an acr and will connect your trolling bank with your starting or house battery when it sees 13 volts and will disconnect if eaither side has less than 13 volts.

I don’t think it knows what the state of charge of the banks are