Trotline Research is Complete!!

olcaptain

Trotline Research is Complete!!

After several days of grueling suspense, it is time for us to finally report on our trotline research! Max and I caught only one Catfish two nights ago on raw chicken and then we were challenged by antharper to bait the same line in the same spot with bits of Ivory soap. After living over 67 years and NEVER catching a fish on soap, I was skeptical at best. But it is time this morning for the Ol Captain to come clean!!

After tossing and turning all night and letting this story soak a bit in my mind Max and I slipped out on this unusually warm Thursday morning just to see if the results would be 99 and 44/100 percent pure. I am proud to report that not only did we catch one fish but there were TWO Cats on the soap line this morning!! So, does that mean that Ivory Soap is twice as effective as raw chicken thighs? You be the judge. I have pictures to back up our research so you won’t think I am just twisting a tale, After all, I wouldn’t want anyone to have to wash my mouth out with….bait.

r2.JPG

r5.JPG

r3.JPG

r4.JPG

r9.JPG

r10.JPG

Last edited:

snuffy

Captain since you are doing the research try this.
Be sure and use chicken breast instead of tenders. They will stay on the hook much better.

Sultin of Slime ( Johathon) posted it years ago. Have had some good luck using it on poles, never tried it on trotlines

PS. Enjoy your posts.

"SOS chicken chunks
A couple of pounds of chicken breast cut into 1 inch chunks
2-3 packages (sugar free) of strawberry/banana
jello,
couple of DROPS of extract of anise (do not use more,that stuff is stout
couple of tablespoons of garlic powder.
Shake the chicken nuggets in the dry mix and let it sit. You can even leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Should be red and heavy coated. Bait up and hang on. "

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Captain since you are doing the research try this.
Be sure and use chicken breast instead of tenders. They will stay on the hook much better.

Sultin of Slime ( Johathon) posted it years ago. Have had some good luck using it on poles, never tried it on trotlines

PS. Enjoy your posts.

"SOS chicken chunks
A couple of pounds of chicken breast cut into 1 inch chunks
2-3 packages (sugar free) of strawberry/banana
jello,
couple of DROPS of extract of anise (do not use more,that stuff is stout
couple of tablespoons of garlic powder.
Shake the chicken nuggets in the dry mix and let it sit. You can even leave it in the refrigerator for a couple of days. Should be red and heavy coated. Bait up and hang on. "

Works on trotlines and jugs real well.

Cheap hotdogs soaked in this will kill the squealers on a jug. We have caught coolers full of squealers at Sinclair, Blackshear and Eufaula using this bait.

Cmp1

BANNED
Good cool water punch bait. Never tried it on a trotline. :unsure:
I've been wanting to try it out here in the river,,,,when I used yardbird,,,,I would put a small piece in a gause wrap bandage,tie it,,,,then embed the hook,,,,

hopper

That's crazy!! Dem cats eat some wierd food man. What's in the soap that makes them want to eat it?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I said it yesterday.... first time for everything ! When I was a kid I grew up within sight of the ocmulgee River and me and a couple friends lived in that river, had my first boat with a motor at about 12 and we use to cover the bottom of the boat with catfish using soap , since I’ve moved to LaGrange and mostly fish West Point I’ve tried it and it doesn’t seem to be as effective , maybe it is different or maybe living in the water as a kid I just fished more , anyway congrats on the catfish !

delacroix

BANNED
Had a trotline with one end tied under some muscadines. Having caught bullheads full of green muscadines, I tried muscadines for bait. I'd like to say it worked. So, I will.

Anything fatty, oily, bloody or fruity works for catfish bait sometimes.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Captain, I woke up this morning knowing that you are 99 and 44/100 percent pure.

I also realized that you are 99 and 44/100 percent one of the very best people that I have had the pleasure of meeting face to face also !!!! (MAXX is running a close second !!!)

Thanks for such a wonderful opportunity to go fishing with you and Maxx and learn so great techniques on most every adventure. :cheers:

ps: Keep up the good work.