Trout Fishing at Cherokee NC

Mac

My Son and I fished for three days, and it was snowing when we headed home yesterday.
A friend was a very big help on places to fish and we covered most of the Rez. The stocked fish were way bigger than the stockers in GA. It rained the second night, and the streams were up and muddy.
The main river was way bigger than anything I had ever fished for trout and the smaller streams only had a few holes that would hold fish. I have trout fished for over 55 years and I would have to say we ran into some of the biggest jerks I have ever seen on trout stream. We both say we will never return to the stocked streams of Cherokee.

We ended up with 18 fish and caught 3 wild fish that we released.

There are lots of YouTube videos of fishing Cherokee and we found most of the places we saw in the videos. We sure did not find the same situations we saw in the videos. LOL

deermaster13

I've fished the Rez Close to 40 years. Yes every once in awhile I run across some absolutely rude people. I still fish there at least a couple weekend a year. Always catch some nice fish and if you get away from the bridges actually get some peaceful fishing. I will say the some of the places NCH fishes are the best and his post show the true beauty of those mountains. I hate you had a bad experience in the Rez.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My Son and I fished for three days, and it was snowing when we headed home yesterday.
A friend was a very big help on places to fish and we covered most of the Rez. The stocked fish were way bigger than the stockers in GA. It rained the second night, and the streams were up and muddy.
The main river was way bigger than anything I had ever fished for trout and the smaller streams only had a few holes that would hold fish. I have trout fished for over 55 years and I would have to say we ran into some of the biggest jerks I have ever seen on trout stream. We both say we will never return to the stocked streams of Cherokee.

We ended up with 18 fish and caught 3 wild fish that we released.

There are lots of YouTube videos of fishing Cherokee and we found most of the places we saw in the videos. We sure did not find the same situations we saw in the videos. LOL
You definitely need to get away from the crowds. I live next to the rez, and very seldom fish it, if that tells you anything. Hundreds of miles of other good streams around.

Kdog

As I mentioned, hate you had a bad experience, but with it being opening weekend, a long Easter weekend and spring break for most compounded the crowds and issues you encountered. The crowds were rather high in N GA for us and we ran into a few of those jerks as well. We had a little snow on Thursday on the Tallulah, but had great weather other than that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How can you tell if they are wild or stocked?
Different species?
Dont trout fish so dont know.
It's very obvious. The stocker fish are big and fat and stupid, have no color, and half their fins are worn off.