Trout suggestions

godogs57

When I got back from my mule deer hunt this November I also brought home about 20 pounds of rainbow filets. With the skin on. I want to grill a batch here and there on my BGE and want your suggestions. If we cook fish here in SW GA it’s fried obviously. Not looking to do that with these filets.

Thinking a little olive oil and some sort of seasoning? Fish on a grill is not my area of expertise and I don’t want to mess this up. Probably will cook two or three filets at a time and see what happens.

Suggestions from the Illuminati will be appreciated! Thanks.

hawkeye123

Smoked is great also..my favorite to make dip with..smoke on some peecan..rough chop in lemon juice and olive oil add hot sauce , cream cheese , Dukes mayo & a lil sour cream, green onions & all you need is some crackers..Can't stop eating this dip

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Egg/milk dipped in seasoned flour and fried

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve tried them several ways and battered and fried is hard to beat

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Maybe trout cakes...microwave or smoke, then follow a recipe for salmon or mackerel cakes

menhadenman

- put oven on broil
- aluminum foil on cookie sheet
- filets skin side down on foil
- drizzle with olive oil, lemon, Montreal steak seasoning (or whatever)
- broil for 10-12 minutes depending on thickness

Skin will stick to sheet, but my kids don’t enjoy the skin so much. We’ve eaten many hundred (thousands?) of filets this way because it’s so easy.

Hard to go wrong with wild trout though - so long as you don’t overlook it.

Sounds like a great trip!

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cedar plank them on the grill. Thank me later.
This. Rainbow trout are genetically salmon. And can be treated the same.

I like to season them with dijon, salt, pepper, rosemary, brown sugar, and lemon zest, and cedar plank them on the grill. JUst don't overcook them.

creeksalmon3.jpg

planked.jpg

planked2.jpg

ambush80

Steam them until just barely done (there's lots of ways you can do this but a bamboo steamer is the best way). Absolutely shred some ginger, green onion, and chopped cilantro and cover the filets with the mix (if you can manage an ultra fine julienne it's better), don't be shy with the herbs. Make a dressing of 50/50 soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Heat up some vegetable oil almost to smoking. Pour hot oil over herb covered filets then pour dressing over them. This works with any mild, firm-ish fish I've ever tried.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You can also season the flesh side of the fillet, put a slice of onion and a slice of lemon on it, roll it up skin-side out and indirect grill or bake it.