Trout Vs. Redfish habitat

Seanote

I seem to catch many more trout (and some flounder) out of my Yak than redfish. My redfish typically some out of the flooded grass at high tide. With trout I seem to do better on the middle incoming in the grass and on oyster beds. I am really not very knowledgeable through experience and observations of the different habitats for the two species. I find reading to be overly general and of little use compared with experience and observation. Any comments or information from your observations on these two species would be of interest to all I am sure. Thank you in advance for your comments.

Rob G

Dead low for redfish, oysters(structure) almost a must. High tide for trout, seems like you got them dialed in. In my experience, trout hang out a little deeper than redfish. If using cork - longer leader for trout, shorter leader for redfish. Many times the redfish that I catch are in very shallow water <5 feet. Trout in up to 12 feet. I am no expert but I am able to target specific species and catch them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't done a lot of salt fishing, but with what I have done in the tidal creeks and inlets, I have always done best catching trout around low tide around oyster beds. Most of the reds I have caught in the creeks were just after high tide, right when the water started moving out.