Truck reviews

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Ours didn’t make it 80k miles and Dodge admitted to having problems but will not do anything. Not another Dodge for us!!

you can go to the Dodge owners website, register, and put in your VIN. It will tell you if there is a recall on your truck. If there was, and you have had it repaired, Dodge should refund your money

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to drive, get a Ford. If you want to work on your truck, get a Ram.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you want to drive, get a Ford. If you want to work on your truck, get a Ram.

lol right. I have a friend that is a Ford certified mechanic with special training on the diesel engines. He drives a Chevy. He says he has to get to work to make money, and the Chevy has given him the best service.

I have seen plenty of Fords laying up in the shops with bad engines, bad injection pumps, bad fuel pumps (where the entire cab of the truck had to be pulled to put a pump on the back of the engine) with only 30,000 miles on them.

every builder can and will have issues with their vehicles. Some more than others. I have owned them all, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Nissans, but not the Toyotas. By far the worst reliability I had was from the Nissan. I owned it 10 months. It was in the shop a total of a bit over 10 weeks in those 10 months. I traded it off for a Dodge.

I have found that the life of a vehicle is in the maintenance. Treat it right, service it regularly, and you will most probably have a reliable vehicle.

If you jack it up, install engine tuners, put on hugely oversized tires, or drive it like a maniac, it probably isn't going to last very long.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
lol right. I have a friend that is a Ford certified mechanic with special training on the diesel engines. He drives a Chevy. He says he has to get to work to make money, and the Chevy has given him the best service.

I have seen plenty of Fords laying up in the shops with bad engines, bad injection pumps, bad fuel pumps (where the entire cab of the truck had to be pulled to put a pump on the back of the engine) with only 30,000 miles on them.

every builder can and will have issues with their vehicles. Some more than others. I have owned them all, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Nissans, but not the Toyotas. By far the worst reliability I had was from the Nissan. I owned it 10 months. It was in the shop a total of a bit over 10 weeks in those 10 months. I traded it off for a Dodge.

I have found that the life of a vehicle is in the maintenance. Treat it right, service it regularly, and you will most probably have a reliable vehicle.

If you jack it up, install engine tuners, put on hugely oversized tires, or drive it like a maniac, it probably isn't going to last very long.
I gave up on all those Mexican/Canadian trucks, and started buying Nissans made in TN and AL. Now, I can get 300k out of a truck and still have most of the original parts on it. I have had 0 problems out of 3 Nissans so far. The latest Ford and Chevy I owned, both fell apart after 150k and were work on every month. 1 Nissan, 300k, still had the original starter, alternator, and pretty much everything else.

I have never gotten the reliability out of an "American" brand that I have out of the "Japanese" brands. Guess which ones are actually made in America now?

We own two Nissans and a Chevy. The Nissans run every day with no problems. The Chevy is parked with unfixable problems.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I gave up on all those Mexican/Canadian trucks, and started buying Nissans made in TN and AL. Now, I can get 300k out of a truck and still have most of the original parts on it. I have had 0 problems out of 3 Nissans so far. The latest Ford and Chevy I owned, both fell apart after 150k and were work on every month. 1 Nissan, 300k, still had the original starter, alternator, and pretty much everything else.

I have never gotten the reliability out of an "American" brand that I have out of the "Japanese" brands. Guess which ones are actually made in America now?

We own two Nissans and a Chevy. The Nissans run every day with no problems. The Chevy is parked with unfixable problems.

and my Dad had a Nissan with less than 100k on it that Nissan said couldn't be fixed.
It would be running fine, then go to missing and finally just die. No codes stored. It would usually crank right back up and run for a few miles before it would do it again. Nissan said they couldn't find the problem or fix it. But they still charged Dad over $400 to tell him that.

We took it home, and started going over it with a fine tooth comb. The only thing we could find wrong with it was a very small antifreeze leak from somewhere around the top of the engine. We kept looking, and finally found that leak. It was from a heat chamber that picked up signal to tell the computer to enrich or lean the engine when it was cold or hot. That little leak was coming out just ahead of the intake throat. When coolant would build up there while driving, it would suck the antifreeze into the intake, causing the engine to stumble. If it was a big enough slug, it would kill the engine.

We pulled the heat chamber apart and found an oring that had a nick out of it. I put a new .30 oring in, and we never had another issues with the truck dying on him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well, then, you are the one out of 1,000 that I have talked to. I'm on my third Nissan truck. I have yet to have a problem out of any of them from brand new to wore out. My wife is on her second Nissan car/SUV. Same there. Years of driving, no problems.

Ihunt

The Fords are quieter than the Dodges if that matters.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

We own two Nissans and a Chevy. The Nissans run day after day. The Chevy is parked with all kinds of problems after about 100k. That echoes my experiences over the years. "American" (Canadian/Mexican) vehicles suck nowadays.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
We own two Nissans and a Chevy. The Nissans run day after day. The Chevy is parked with all kinds of problems after about 100k. That echoes my experiences over the years. "American" (Canadian/Mexican) vehicles suck nowadays.

I went to buy a Dodge back in 14. I drove one for 3 days, and ended up with a Ford. The Dodge just couldn't compare to the Ford. Fit, finish, mileage and comfort, the Ford was light years ahead. That was for a 1/2 ton truck. This truck now has over 140k, and no issues other than a TSB for a transmission connector.

When I went last year to buy a 3/4 ton 4WD, it was just the opposite. The Ram ran circles around the Ford. I have 18k on it now, and it has been flawless. We will see how the thing holds up for the long haul

I couldn't force myself to buy a Chevy either time. IMHO, Chevy is a piece of junk compared to either the Ford or the Ram

ryanh487

My least favorite thing about Chevy is that I work on my own cars, and the 2 chevy's I've worked on for people were both put together bass ackwards. They put common wear and tear parts in extremely hard to access places. They're built to rack up labor rates and get people to use dealership mechanics instead of DIY. About half chevy truck/SUV owners I know love them, and the other half have gone through multiple transmissions before the 100K mark.

Really any of the big names are perfectly fine if you're going to buy new and trade in every 5 years. If you want something that will last a long time and intend to do the work yourself, you have to research heavily about the current crop of trucks out there for the year you're looking at buying. Some years Ford is best, some years Ford is the worst. Same with Ram, and possibly chevy.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I went to buy a Dodge back in 14. I drove one for 3 days, and ended up with a Ford. The Dodge just couldn't compare to the Ford. Fit, finish, mileage and comfort, the Ford was light years ahead. That was for a 1/2 ton truck. This truck now has over 140k, and no issues other than a TSB for a transmission connector.

When I went last year to buy a 3/4 ton 4WD, it was just the opposite. The Ram ran circles around the Ford. I have 18k on it now, and it has been flawless. We will see how the thing holds up for the long haul

I couldn't force myself to buy a Chevy either time. IMHO, Chevy is a piece of junk compared to either the Ford or the Ram
The last Chevy truck I owned, I loved it. Except that something was constantly breaking down on it, it nickle and dimed me to death. When it was running, it was a good truck. :)

Fords are my pick of the "domestic" trucks.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you talking pulling it is the Dodge Cummins, I put nearly 300,000 miles on mine with only normal wear and tear. Further if your towing a long trailer the Dodge turn radius is significantly tighter than the Ford. I learned this hauling hay with a friend who had a Ford diesel.

I personally pulled my buddies dozer on a triple axle trailer with mine. No problem. Thank god for electric brakes!

klwehunt

I have a 01 Dodge cummins w/6 speed 4wd and 380,000 miles have had to put one radiator,one altenator and a couple of clutches in it other than that just oil changes and general maitanance.Its actually a tractor that looks like a truck.lol

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
The last Chevy truck I owned, I loved it. Except that something was constantly breaking down on it, it nickle and dimed me to death. When it was running, it was a good truck. :)

Fords are my pick of the "domestic" trucks.
Likewise my Chevy is the same way. Everytime I turn around seems to need something else. I'm a ford guy but got a good deal on it. I can say it does get good gas mileage .

transfixer

They all have their own pluses and minuses, I used to be a Ford guy through and through, but any Ford truck made in the last 15 years doesn't impress me, especially that lousy 5.4 motor, poor gas mileage, and troublesome cam phasers,

Switched over to first Gen LS series GM trucks a few years ago, the drivetrains are pretty solid, once you address the transmission, but I'll admit little things on the trucks do go out, hvac actuators, window motors, window switches, etc, etc,

We see Dodges with electrical issues constantly at work, but the Cummins equipped HD trucks seem to last a long time, at least drivetrain wise, I don't think I'd ever want to own one , because of all the electrical gremlins they have with their TIPM problems though.

Gaswamp

mike u still looking?