Truck won't start?

Bullochcountyhunter

To me sounds like the starter, yes they will just quit. As someone else suggested, pop it with a hammer, sometimes takes someone turning the key and the other tapping on starter. Or you could just take it off and have it tested at Auto parts store.

Hillbilly stalker

03 chevy w/ vortex. I have lights, fan, power windows. Battery is good but just had to change it out. Fuel pump runs when I try to start it. Nothing when I hit the key but there is a slight buzz from under the dash? Is there a relay under there? Checked all fuses and they are good. Thanks
Did you get that bow tie a running?

GoldDot40

Reach through the passenger side fender well...you should be able to see the starter...tap it with a broom stick handle. Keep you from having to crawl under it. My '02 did this twice in the past...but hasn't in a very long time. Tapping on it got mine to start.

Lukikus2

Reach through the passenger side fender well...you should be able to see the starter...tap it with a broom stick handle. Keep you from having to crawl under it. My '02 did this twice in the past...but hasn't in a very long time. Tapping on it got mine to start.

Cool tip. Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
well... inquiring minds want to know if you got it figured out

Lukikus2

well... inquiring minds want to know if you got it figured out

Nope. Haven't even had time.

Is there a way a neutral switch can be tested with continuity to see if it is bad? I'd rather start there than the starter. But I still haven't tapped the starter yet either.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy

Is there a way a neutral switch can be tested with continuity to see if it is bad? I'd rather start there than the starter. But I still haven't tapped the starter yet either.
yeah, you can put a ohm meter across the contacts with the wires unhooked. When it is in park and neutral, it should have continuity, when in any other gear, it should read open.

they do go bad, but not near as often as starters.

transfixer

the inhibitor switches (neutral switch) on the side of the trans seldom ever go bad, even when they do you normally can crank in neutral if it won't crank in park,

doublebrowtine

Sounds like the ground wire is broke from the wiring harness to the back of the passenger side head. Standing in front of the truck look at the back of the passenger side cylinder head, there is a 10ga wire coming out of the wiring harness hanging down, see if that is unhooked. Very common on chevys.

Lukikus2

Sounds like the ground wire is broke from the wiring harness to the back of the passenger side head. Standing in front of the truck look at the back of the passenger side cylinder head, there is a 10ga wire coming out of the wiring harness hanging down, see if that is unhooked. Very common on chevys.

Thanks. Got a few minutes, going to look. Got my fingers crossed.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
put a new starter on it. The brushes are worn and hanging in the brush holder more than likely. It will happen again, and it may not start the next time