Trying new things.

Doug B.

Anybody ever lay awake at night and think of something new on their trapline they want to try? Or is it just me? I'm talking about little things like little changes to a dirt hole or even big changes like location or whatever. I'm always thinking of trying different things. I guess that's why I always preach to a new trapper "this is how I do it and this will get you started, but you will change what I do to suit your own style".

This year I'm trying to set more blind sets. I am also trying to experiment with different dirt hole variations. Will either one catch more coyotes? I doubt it. But it keeps my mind working. At my age that is a good thing.

sleepr71

I agree on each of us evolving & doing what works best for US! Also..I try to throw “curve balls” every now & then..

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Man, if it weren't for thinking about hunting, fishing, trapping, and all that goes with these activities I wouldn't make it thru the day.

My job is a mindless, monotonous grind at times, and I have mentally planned many a outdoor success while working.

Sometimes, they even work out...:cool:

As for laying awake at night, I am usually too tuckered out and have to get up too early for that...:LOL:

furtaker

Anybody ever lay awake at night and think of something new on their trapline they want to try? Or is it just me? I'm talking about little things like little changes to a dirt hole or even big changes like location or whatever. I'm always thinking of trying different things. I guess that's why I always preach to a new trapper "this is how I do it and this will get you started, but you will change what I do to suit your own style".

This year I'm trying to set more blind sets. I am also trying to experiment with different dirt hole variations. Will either one catch more coyotes? I doubt it. But it keeps my mind working. At my age that is a good thing.
Blind sets are a lot of fun. And you'll be surprised at how effective they can be.

mossyoakpro

I'm going to try the "compass" set this season....I hope to get some steel in the ground very soon!!

Doug B.

I'm going to try the "compass" set this season....I hope to get some steel in the ground very soon!!
I have used a compass set with some success. When I have used it, mine looked like a flat set. Sometimes i had to hunt just to find it myself!
But it does work.