TS85

Doug B.

They are big, that's for certain. I'm not a big fan of the TS85, but I will have to say that everytime this past season that mine was tripped, it had a beaver in it. Good luck with yours! I can't wait to see some pictures of your catches with it!

buckpasser

I like them fine, but not as much as the mb750’s. They are easier to work with though. Good luck!

furtaker

They are big, that's for certain. I'm not a big fan of the TS85, but I will have to say that everytime this past season that mine was tripped, it had a beaver in it. Good luck with yours! I can't wait to see some pictures of your catches with it!
What do you not like about them?

Doug B.

What do you not like about them?
There are several things I'm not too crazy about. And I'm not one of those hard to please kind of people.

First, they seem really slow. I don't how to test the speed of them compared to other traps but they just seem slow.

Second, until this past year I have had more empty TS85's than any other trap. This past year the TS85's had a beaver everytime it was tripped. I only had one empty trap this past year and it was a MB750. Prior to this past year I had multiple missed catches with the TS85's as opposed to no missed catch with a MB750.

Third, after using a MB750 I'm not fond of any beaver trap that has a loose jaw.

To me, the MB750 seems quicker, stronger, more heavy duty, and more reliable.

I will still use my TS85's and hopefully catch more beavers with it. I do like that it's dogless. I also like it's size. I like that the levers are longer than a MB750 and therefore it is easier to set by hand.

They are good traps and I didn't mean that they are not. I just prefer other brands instead of TS85.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I might be too tender to set it ?‍♂️

furtaker

There are several things I'm not too crazy about. And I'm not one of those hard to please kind of people.

First, they seem really slow. I don't how to test the speed of them compared to other traps but they just seem slow.

Second, until this past year I have had more empty TS85's than any other trap. This past year the TS85's had a beaver everytime it was tripped. I only had one empty trap this past year and it was a MB750. Prior to this past year I had multiple missed catches with the TS85's as opposed to no missed catch with a MB750.

Third, after using a MB750 I'm not fond of any beaver trap that has a loose jaw.

To me, the MB750 seems quicker, stronger, more heavy duty, and more reliable.

I will still use my TS85's and hopefully catch more beavers with it. I do like that it's dogless. I also like it's size. I like that the levers are longer than a MB750 and therefore it is easier to set by hand.

They are good traps and I didn't mean that they are not. I just prefer other brands instead of TS85.
Nothing wrong with that. You have to use what you are confident in.

I used the big, bad MB 650 on coyotes for several years and it dawned on me one day that probably over half of the coyotes I caught in them were toe catches. That's not a good percentage. It is a well known fact that those traps have pan tension issues and I just generally had too many problems with them. I realize that many folks like them but they are too finicky for me. You just have to use what you are confident in and everybody likes something a little different.

I used mostly Bridger #2 dogless modified this year and I like them head and shoulders above the 650. A well built trap and deep pad catches on every animal. Bigger ain't always better!

Doug B.

I used the big, bad MB 650 on coyotes for several years and it dawned on me one day that probably over half of the coyotes I caught in them were toe catches. That's not a good percentage. It is a well known fact that those traps have pan tension issues and I just generally had too many problems with them. I realize that many folks like them but they are too finicky for me. You just have to use what you are confident in and everybody likes something a little different.

I used mostly Bridger #2 dogless modified this year and I like them head and shoulders above the 650. A well built trap and deep pad catches on every animal. Bigger ain't always better!
I agree 100%. I have never used the MB650 so I don't have an opinion on those. But the #2 Bridgers are a great trap. I do like bigger beaver traps cause I target the back foot. The TS85's do fit that bill. But like you said, I have more confidence in the MB750. They are still big (not as big as the TS85) and seem to be faster plus they seem to hold better.

buckpasser

Agreed. When I first started I would have used an mb1250 if I could have gotten my hands on one (were it legal of course). It was killing me to see tracks all around my little #2’s. I’ve about decided now that the 550’s are the perfect size and 750’s the perfect drowner.

Doug B.

Agreed. When I first started I would have used an mb1250 if I could have gotten my hands on one (were it legal of course). It was killing me to see tracks all around my little #2’s. I’ve about decided now that the 550’s are the perfect size and 750’s the perfect drowner.
That made me laugh! You have come a long ways!

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I set it with my feet while wearing crocs in 2 wheel drive mode. Don’t know if I could have done that with a mb750 4 coil

Doug B.

I set it with my feet while wearing crocs in 2 wheel drive mode. Don’t know if I could have done that with a mb750 4 coil
Ha ha! I would like to see you do that on the edge of a beaver swamp!!!

Seriously though, a MB750 would be harder to set. Not just the four coil, but the levers are shorter and hard to get a good purchase on them. I can set a 750 by hand but honestly I would rather set them with setters!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That things a beast!