TS85

buckpasser

I pulled out on Saturday possibly catching out the place. I left those traps on standby until this weekend to see if anyone rebuilt the dams. I liked them well enough to buy two more for another property and set them out yesterday. Here’s another one for the 85.

09DCA74F-6852-4363-99CC-CBB83242C368.jpeg

fatback

I’m trying to catch some beavers for a friend of mine. I’ve gotten 3 so far but it’s been slow the last week or so. I’ve never used any type of lure with the conibear traps I’m using. Just curious, where are you applying the lure? Thanks

Off subject for the TS85, but the conibears finally paid off big. I applied home brew lure (cured castor based) that I hoped would work night before last. I don’t know if I applied it a little heavy or they just came in to check things out finally, but I had a huge male and huge female waiting on me today!

View attachment 1078158View attachment 1078159View attachment 1078160

buckpasser

I’m trying to catch some beavers for a friend of mine. I’ve gotten 3 so far but it’s been slow the last week or so. I’ve never used any type of lure with the conibear traps I’m using. Just curious, where are you applying the lure? Thanks

This place was a pond dam with the spillway channel trenched down around the bottom of it paralleling. The dam was about 30 feet wide so I set conibears on each slide for matching trails (so they couldn’t come from the back side). All I did was apply the lure on the slide about 12” uphill or the trap. Traps were right at water line.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Good job on the beaver ! Have you ever used it for coyote bait ? The reason I ask is because I went with a guy about 30 years ago and that’s all he used for bait . He would freeze the beaver whole and chop it up with a ax . If my memory is right that’s all he used , and he could flat out catch a coyote

buckpasser

Good job on the beaver ! Have you ever used it for coyote bait ? The reason I ask is because I went with a guy about 30 years ago and that’s all he used for bait . He would freeze the beaver whole and chop it up with a ax . If my memory is right that’s all he used , and he could flat out catch a coyote

Heck yeah! I get all the pretty meat and grind it when I do one. I taint some and preserve some fresh. Also, I’ve got a heaping pile of oil glands and castor glands that I use at coyote sets too. Sometimes I even feel frisky and carcass set on them whole. It’s a good bait animal in my opinion.

buckpasser

Haha! I don’t know about that.

buckpasser

Another great catch! Good job getting your daughter interested. Looks like the Roxor is working out!

Yes, it’s fun to use. I’m still waiting on my dash cluster to be returned from a recall. That’s caused me some headaches, but I’m happy with the purchase and the kids enjoy checking traps more from it than my other vehicles, so that’s a plus too.

buckpasser

That foot moved! It should be locked above the ankle with a jaw spread that wide. There's no way the trap could be fired with the foot in that position.
That's why I like my CDRs. Once they bite nothing moves.

I see what you’re saying and I don’t have quite the faith I do in my MB750’s, but for me, so far, the TS85 is a capable beaver trap. I’m not sponsored by anyone, so if a suspected failure occurs I’ll report on it right here.

I've handled the TS85, a good friend uses them. I like them in hand especially ease of setting but that same ease has me doubting.
If only the CDR was half as easy. LOL

buckpasser

I've handled the TS85, a good friend uses them. I like them in hand especially ease of setting but that same ease has me doubting.
If only the CDR was half as easy. LOL

The more I use them the more I’m convinced that the lost beavers occur more based on the end chain swivel vs a center chain. As I said, I purposely set mine chain end out where that first big run down the rod can’t be used against me with unnecessary leverage.

Think about it, if a beaver fires the trap with his rear foot just over the chain mount, those smooth jaws will allow him to pull all the way to the far end. As the foot travels past the center point there is a possibility of some evacuation until it comes to rest at the other end. Center chains eliminate that problem entirely.

Totally agree. I like my beaver footholds center swiveled but not my canine footholds. I want any movement a coyote makes on the initial lunge to be to the side instead of straight up and out. But I run short chains to pin them down.