TS85

buckpasser

I’m spread pretty thin on drowning sets right now and needed more in a hurry. Headed to the local supplier and he was sold out of MB750s, but had 85s. I bought 2 and set them. The major noticeable difference to me was the chain location. The 85 is secured on the end of the frame like a Duke 2 or 3, while the 750 is centered.

I read on Trapperman that many don’t like the 85s and strongly favor the MB. What do the GONers think? I’ll be reporting my results this week.

Doug B.

I only have one TS 85. The rest are 750's so my experience is limited.

I'm not a fan of the TS 85. They don't seem as strong as the 4 coiled 750's. Also the loose jaw doesn't seem to let the trap bed as easy. But the main reason is because I have had a few pull outs with the 85. I have caught beavers by just a couple of toes with the 750 that were at the end of the drowner. Now I'm not saying there won't be pull outs with the 750's but I don't believe it will be even close to the number with 85's.

buckpasser

Could be the case. The 85s are certainly easier to set. I rarely bed my beaver traps though, so I don’t really mind the loose jaw. I just plop them down on the bottom and seem to do fine. If they have to be on land or in extremely shallow water (like at a steep ledge), I just cover them with leaves or light cover. I’m hopeful I don’t have any pullouts, but I will report the truth either way.

buckpasser

It got slow night before last, so I took another couple feet out of the dam breaks. Last night should have been a double, but I must have set the TS85 too deep and it wasn’t tripped. Got to the MB750 and had ‘ol big mama at the bottom of the rod. Tonight should be another 85 test, and I sure hope it passes!

Also, don’t be jealous of my wading shoes.

1A4B9517-0B7D-49ED-991F-4C7FC403FF62.jpeg

Doug B.

Good toe catch! Even the beavers like the MB750's better. They are dodging the TS85's to get in them!

To be honest though, I am hoping you catch several in the TS85's and no pull outs.

buckpasser

Good toe catch! Even the beavers like the MB750's better. They are dodging the TS85's to get in them!

To be honest though, I am hoping you catch several in the TS85's and no pull outs.

Thanks Doug! Me too. I’m setting all the 85s chain out to the deep water. The more I look at them and work with them, I really think that is the difference. There is a strong possibility of providing unwanted leverage when the chain is on the end vs the obviously better design of the 750.

Doug B.

Great back foot catch!!! Nice size beaver too! Can't say nothing bad about the TS85's so far. Awesome!!!!

buckpasser

Off subject for the TS85, but the conibears finally paid off big. I applied home brew lure (cured castor based) that I hoped would work night before last. I don’t know if I applied it a little heavy or they just came in to check things out finally, but I had a huge male and huge female waiting on me today!

ED7248C7-D9C1-423D-8567-B88C111A8BD9.jpegF366C0F6-A757-452B-AE32-3689C416AED4.jpegBD870337-BA5E-477F-B7C1-E550480D4E8A.jpeg