TSS for Deer and Hogs on waterfowl hunts?

Posted here because this opens some interesting hunting opportunities.

Apex ammunition recommends TSS sizes 2, BB and T for deer and hog hunting. This expands the size range of available factory loaded buckshot.

Indeed, this opens the possibility for waterfowl hunters to take Deer and Hog when the opportunity arises on the same hunt and with the same non-toxic shotshells - during overlapping seasons.

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/collections/pk-series-predator-hogs-deer

What say you?

Last edited:
You can’t shoot deer with anything less than buckshot.

That is the point. Apex ammunition markets factory loaded TSS Buckshot. Abeit in diameters that are based on the high density, (18g/cc), and deep penetration of Tungsten Super Shot.

And before anyone asks, I am not affiliated with Apex Ammunition Co.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Is it easier to unload duck rounds and then reload buckshot when you see a deer coming through the swamp, or easier to unload buckshot and reload duck shells when you see a duck coming thru the woods?

Quackmasterofgeorgia

That is the point. Apex ammunition markets factory loaded TSS Buckshot. Abeit in diameters that are based on the high density, (18g/cc), and deep penetration of Tungsten Super Shot.

And before anyone asks, I am not affiliated with Apex Ammunition Co.
Yeah, but getting caught by the warden with anything greater than T shot while duck hunting will not end good.

Several here have missed the point:

Apex ammunition recommends TSS sizes 2, BB and T for deer and hog hunting. This expands the size range of available factory loaded buckshot.

Tungsten Super Shot sizes 2, BB & T, ( .15", .18" and .20" respectively), are are suitable for both waterfowl & deer.

Thus these are both non-toxic waterfowl shot and buckshot at the same time.

Last edited:
Yeah, but getting caught by the warden with anything greater than T shot while duck hunting will not end good.

Actually:
-------------------------------------
Non-Toxic Shot
Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size "F" or smaller. No lead shot may be in possession while hunting waterfowl.

https://georgiawildlife.com/FederalRegulationsSummary

I think most waterfowl hunters realize the Federal Regulations set approved types of non-toxic shot and leave shot size limits up to the State to determine.

Size "F" is traditionally understood to be a nominal .22" in diameter.

Last edited:

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Actually:
Non-Toxic Shot
Any 10-gauge or smaller loaded with federally approved nontoxic shot of size "F" or smaller. No lead shot may be in possession while hunting waterfowl.

https://georgiawildlife.com/FederalRegulationsSummary

I think most waterfowl hunters realize the Federal Regulations set approved types of non-toxic shot and the size limit of the shot is left up to the States to determine.

Size "F" is traditionally understood to be a nominal .22" in diameter.

Yeah, my mistake, always thought it was T shot, however buckshot is normally .24 in diameter at the smallest size, which would still make possession of it illegal while duck hunting.
Deer & Bear
  • Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
  • Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot.

Quackmasterofgeorgia

Several here have missed the point:

Tungsten Super Shot sizes 2, BB & T, ( .15", .18" and .20" respectively), are are suitable for both waterfowl & deer. Thus these are both non-toxic waterfowl shot and buckshot at the same time.
If caught with a dead deer and no buckshot shells, it will be an expensive day.

Yeah, my mistake, always thought it was T shot, however buckshot is normally .24 in diameter at the smallest size, which would still make possession of it illegal while duck hunting.
Deer & Bear
  • Modern Rifles and Handguns: Centerfire only, .22-cal. or larger with expanding bullets. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.
  • Shotguns: 20-gauge or larger loaded with slugs or buckshot.

I don't think so.

Consider:

Ammunition development is market and technology driven.

SAAMI standards are voluntary, even for SAAMI member companies.

The regulation simply says "Buckshot."

The composition and diameter of buckshot, along with buckshot shell design, has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompassing buckshot pellets much larger and smaller within each gauge.

The regulation simply says "Slugs."

The composition, diameter and design of "slugs" has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompasing slugs much larger and smaller within each gauge.

Last edited:

Quackmasterofgeorgia

I don't think so.

Consider:

Ammunition development is market and technology driven.

SAAMI standards are voluntary, even for SAAMI member companies.

The regulation simply says "Buckshot."

The composition and diameter of buckshot, along with buckshot shell design, has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompassing buckshot pellets much larger and smaller within each gauge.

The regulation simply says "Slugs."

The composition, diameter and design of "slugs" has changed radically since the late 20th century. Encompasing slugs much larger and smaller within each gauge.
Then why does the regulations not include F shot for buckshot?