Tugaloo River formed by Tallulah and Chattooga Rivers.

Artfuldodger

I wondered if such a place existed. There could be more peaks where this happens;
Young Lick is a "triple-divide" peak on the Eastern Continental Divide, with rainfall from its summit flowing into three completely separate major basins. To the northeast of the peak, water flows into the headwaters of the Savannah River and into the Atlantic Ocean. To the southeast, water flows directly into the Gulf of Mexico via the Chattahoochee, then Apalachicola rivers. To the west, water also flows to the Gulf, but it follows a less direct route via the Hiawassee, Tennessee, Ohio, and Mississippi river systems

Young Lick is a mountain that lies in three Georgia counties, Habersham, Rabun and Towns.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Lick

Artfuldodger

Also reading this;
Rabun County has three major rivers – the Tallulah, the Little Tennessee, and the Chattooga. On the summit of Black Rock Mountain is the only place where all three watersheds come together. Rainfall that drains northward off the summit goes into the Little Tennessee; water running toward the south and the east flows to the Chattooga; and runoff from the westward slope enters the Tallulah. The ridge that you will hike on forms a section of the Eastern Continental Divide. This separates the watersheds of rivers that flow eastward to the Atlantic and those that flow westward to the Gulf of Mexico. On Black Rock Mountain, water that drains off the right of the trail will go southward into the Chattooga, then the Tugalo, and eventually the Savannah River which empties into the Atlantic. Water draining off the left side of the trail takes a far longer route, but eventually finds the Mississippi River and empties into the Gulf of Mexico.

https://georgiageosciences.tripod.com/black_rock_mountain_state_park.htm

I guess they don't know about Young Lick. Reading this about Black Rock, that just sounds like two watersheds. Unless there is some water coming off that mountain that is somehow going straight to the gulf from the Chattahoochee. I guess technically it's three different watersheds but not exactly what I was thinking.
Those three rivers don't go to the three "major" basins. The Chattooga and Tallulah both go to the Savannah River Basin.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was thinking it was Clarksville, is it treated waste water? Whichever I guess they finally figured out a way to legally pump it from the one to the other.
no, it is drinking water. They tied the 2 systems together with a 16 inch line back in 2007. There was a question of the legality of pumping from one watershed to another, but apparently they worked it all out.

Artfuldodger

Toccoa is pumping over a million gallons a day from the Savannah river basin into the Chattahoochee river basin
I found a PDF explaining that. Looks like Habersham County needs water.
SHORT TERM ALTERNATIVES
The only short term alternative deemed feasible in the
HCCWDP, and in fact already implemented, is the pur-
chase of treated water from the City of Toccoa. Haber-
sham County has a 10 year contract (with an option for 10
additional years) to purchase up to 1.0 MGD. It was rec-
ommended that the transmission line from Toccoa be
sized to accommodate additional volume pending future
development.

https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/46980/2.3.4_Hughes.pdf

Artfuldodger

no, it is drinking water. They tied the 2 systems together with a 16 inch line back in 2007. There was a question of the legality of pumping from one watershed to another, but apparently they worked it all out.
The report I posted was 2009 though. I get you it's treated water not treated waste water.

It does look like there were new legislation on Interbasin Water Transfers about that time. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

The Water Authority contracted with Toccoa for one million gallons of water per day with the possibility to increase up to three million gallons per day, as needed. The source for the contracted water would be Yonah Lake.
The winning bid came from Patterson Pump Co. The proposed new pump station was a factory-built, Patterson Flo-Pak® Integrated Pumping System in an all-steel, above-grade enclosure.

https://www.waterworld.com/home/art...ation-supplies-water-to-droughtstricken-areas

I used to buy pump parts from Patterson Pumps.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
The Water Authority contracted with Toccoa for one million gallons of water per day with the possibility to increase up to three million gallons per day, as needed. The source for the contracted water would be Yonah Lake.
The winning bid came from Patterson Pump Co. The proposed new pump station was a factory-built, Patterson Flo-Pak® Integrated Pumping System in an all-steel, above-grade enclosure.

https://www.waterworld.com/home/art...ation-supplies-water-to-droughtstricken-areas

I used to buy pump parts from Patterson Pumps.

shoot, Patterson would have probably given them a pump to keep the competition out of Patterson's backyard. I don't think they would like the idea of being in Stephens County and having someone else's pump pumping Stephens County water

Artfuldodger

shoot, Patterson would have probably given them a pump to keep the competition out of Patterson's backyard. I don't think they would like the idea of being in Stephens County and having someone else's pump pumping Stephens County water
Yeah, that would have been a kick in the pants, lol. Wow, it's a lot bigger place than I realized.
94908155_519166532095833_7700386739751223296_n.jpg

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My youngest son is starting work there as a welder after the holidays. It is his first full time job. I hope he sticks with it. It could be the start of something really good for him.

Gary Mercer

They have sure grown since I called on them. We sold them some hydraulic systems to drive pumps in the tin mines in SE Asia.

Bozeman

Fella on Pbs tv channel other day said the hurricane that went thru Apalachicola bay years ago shut down the oyster crop.

westcobbdog

And it's a pretty long river starting way up in the mountains and keeping the same name to Chattahoochee, Florida? Interesting that in that location the streams flow north if above the Tennessee Divide, or the Eastern Divide? Either flowing to the gulf or Atlantic.

I remember years back they wanted to pump water from one watershed/basin over the Atlanta one. Then when they weren't allowed to do that they were going to pump water out of a treatment plant from one to the other. I can't remember if they were allowed to do that either.
Also all the water flowing eastward from Peachtree St in downtown Atl flows to the Atlantic, while waters flowing westward all go to the Gulf.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I was thinking it was Clarksville, is it treated waste water? Whichever I guess they finally figured out a way to legally pump it from the one to the other.
They are pumping from the Toccoa line to either the Clarkesville or Demorest water system. I can't recall right off which one

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Shifting all this water from one water shed to the other meanwhile miles downstream the finest oysters in the US have collapsed in Apalachicola bay and may not come back.
They are pumping from the Savannah watershed to the Chattahoochee water shed. They are adding water to the Apalachicola Bay by doing so. Over 1 million gallons a day