Turkey brine

ucfireman

With Turkey day coming I was thinking of brining a turkey.
Never done one before usually just wash it and stick it in a bag and in the oven.
Does it make it more flavorful?
What do y'all use? just salt or other stuff? and how long?
My turkey is still frozen but was going to put it in a cooler for a day or two.
Not going to smoke it or fry it, just oven.
Y'all ever inject an oven bird?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Most commercial turkeys you buy are already brined, unless you get it from an Amish farm or something. No need to re-brine them. I don't. I inject them with some melted butter mixed with Cajun/Creole seasoning and smoke them. Tender, juicy, delicious. Wild turkey: Yes. Grocery store turkey: No.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I picked a frozen one up today that says it was pre-brined. Is there a such thing as over brining? I've never paid attention before whether if it had been "pre-brined" or not and I always brine mine with salt, peppercorns, oranges, bay leaves, lemon, and a cup of bourbon

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I picked a frozen one up today that says it was pre-brined. Is there a such thing as over brining? I've never paid attention before whether if it had been "pre-brined" or not and I always brine mine with salt, peppercorns, oranges, bay leaves, lemon, and a cup of bourbon
Yes, you can definitely overbrine.

BDD

For what it's worth, I saw a brining bag at Publix. It was full of something that you drop in I guess, didn't really pay attention.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I'll brine a fresh unenhanced bird but never a frozen bird which is almost always enhanced.

JDBrown

I use an apple cider brine I made up after looking up a few different ones, I use it on frozen birds. The turkey is only in the brine for about 10 to 12 hrs, I smoke it and it comes out moist and I like the flavor it adds. If I decide not to brine, I inject it with creole butter and rub it down with butter and Tony's before I smoke them.

Big7

The Oracle
1 gallon water
1 cup salt
2 tablespoons pickling spice

1/2 cup sugar (optional)

@NCHillbilly is correct on store bought turkey already being brined, although it's very weak.
Ot will read on the label, salt, water, broth, msg, etc if it has been injected. If it don't say, it hasn't been.

Brine a turkey right and you won't ever cook another one without brining it.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
1 gallon water
1 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar (optional)

@NCHillbilly is correct on store bought turkey already being brined, although it's very weak.
Ot will read on the label, salt, water, broth, msg, etc if it has been injected. If it don't say, it hasn't been.

Yep, makes a big difference in whether the turkey breast meat is dry or moist. I like to stuff an apple, an orange, and an onion in the cavity when I cook it too just for fun. I have no idea if it makes any difference but I do it anyway. :LOL:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
1 gallon water
1 cup salt

1/2 cup sugar (optional)

Inject mine, and they're pre-brined. Never had a complaint or nobody spit any out. Mine always turns out moist, tender, and juicy without re-brining it. Too much brine isn't good, either.

Big7

The Oracle
Inject mine, and they're pre-brined. Never had a complaint or nobody spit any out. Mine always turns out moist, tender, and juicy without re-brining it. Too much brine isn't good, either.
That was the point of post #11.
It will say if it's been injected with a salt/broth solution. I tried to get a pic of each lable.

No need to brine them again.

And.. I'd rather have a fresh commercial or yard bird and brine it myself than store bought any day.

Last edited:

JDBrown

I see what you're saying. I'm thinking about just injecting ours this year anyway, won't have to cut into the Mrs. cooking time tomorrow making up my brine, shes making a couple of extra pans of dressing up for some friends. I've used Tony Chacheres creole butter several times, and the bird turns out great.