Turkey decline

saltysenior

Watched three hens feed in the field beside the house yesterday. They had a total of twelve poults.
I thought of this thread and agree that numbers are way down. In normal times, I would expect to see twenty or more poults with three hens.
I was actually concerned that the poults would be picked off by the eagles, osprey's and hawks we have so many of.
Hope they make it......

COYOTE X
count them next week if you can......hawks and owls take a toll on ground birds..

SwampMoss

I had posted earlier about having a hen with around 12 to 15 poults. Well fast forward about 2 weeks ago she only had 5. I saw her Monday and now she only has 1. Dang something sure got them.

buckpasser

I had posted earlier about having a hen with around 12 to 15 poults. Well fast forward about 2 weeks ago she only had 5. I saw her Monday and now she only has 1. Dang something sure got them.

I don’t know what got them, but I know what will. Everything!

saltysenior

Hawks get most of them. Redtails especially, I've seen them in action.
as a joke a S.C.land owner bought and released 6 ringneck pheasants to surprise his guest while they hunted pen raised quail..the birds were released on Thursday AM.....by noon on Saturday the hunting group had come across 5 dead pheasants with only their brains eaten...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Redtail turkey kills leaves lower legs, heads and feathers. On a farm I managed, there was one power pole a redtail liked to eat his turkeys on. At the bottom of that pole was the evidence of what the hawk was eating. Turkeys.

B. White

Redtail turkey kills leaves lower legs, heads and feathers. On a farm I managed, there was one power pole a redtail liked to eat his turkeys on. At the bottom of that pole was the evidence of what the hawk was eating. Turkeys.

They like innards most of all, based on my experience with one making chicken hits. Lots of waste.