Turkey gun for daughter

Jnort9

Looking to purchase a turkey gun for my kiddos. My oldest is 7 now, not sure if this season she’ll start but want to be ready when she is. What would you recommend for a kids turkey gun? Something to start around that age and on up for many years. I was thinking of going with that Stevens .410 but I’m wondering if I should go to a .20 gauge instead..? Thanks in advance.

ssramage

I've got a single shot .410 that I picked up last year. My son will be almost 7 this season and I'm hoping he can get his first with it. It throws a mean pattern with TSS.

Jnort9

I've got a single shot .410 that I picked up last year. My son will be almost 7 this season and I'm hoping he can get his first with it. It throws a mean pattern with TSS.
Thanks for the reply, is that .410 the Stevens 301 turkey gun by chance? It’s one im interested in

1982ace

X2 on the .410 with the tss. I bought the savage 301 turkey for my son last year and hopefully we can get on a bird.i put a red dot on it and Patterned really well out to 40 yds. Pretty nice set up for less than $250

Buckman18

X2 on the .410 with the tss. I bought the savage 301 turkey for my son last year and hopefully we can get on a bird.i put a red dot on it and Patterned really well out to 40 yds. Pretty nice set up for less than $250

Ditto. Got the same gun for my daughter.

deast1988

I’d opt for a 20ga semi good rest 2 3/4in 1oz loads of 9.5s or 10s.

Do a full or light full choke.

You’ll get some forgiveness with the aim, the heavier gun will soak recoil. A .410 requires a solid aim.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Stevens 301T.....if adults are wacking birds with this gun then should be perfect for a youngin.

I picked up one for myself before Christmas and plan on using it till my 2 YO grandson gets big enough to use it

Jnort9

Appreciate all the input! For y’all using the Stevens .410- how do you have your little ones practicing? Do you find you can use squirrel shot etc.. to practice with, and just use the expensive shells to make sure how gun is patterning? Again appreciate the responses nice to hear of real world results!

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
I think it's most important at the beginning to let the little ones just get comfortable handling the gun. Swinging it, pulling the hammer (on the singles) releasing the hammer, viewing the sight picture. I've always done a lot of repetitions on that before ever loading a shell. Those old HR's had a tough trigger pull/set for a child. Hopefully the 301 has changed??

Any shell will help him get comfortable with detonation and recoil
:)

My previous comment on semi's... I didn't my let my kids or grandkids shoot semi nothings until they proved their handling abilities. I/we did a lot of single round mag loading.

Last edited:

NCMTNHunter

I went with a Remington 11-87 youth 20 ga when my daughter was 7. The heavier gun and gas operation really helps soak up the recoil. I put a trueglo red dot and a sumtoy choke on it. Hawglips set me up with some #9 TSS and info on a low recoil 7/8oz load and she doesn’t notice the recoil at all. She killed one at 30 and one at 40 yards with it and it piles them up. I also bought a box of 3/4oz target loads for her to practice with.

BCAEE1B0-1193-44E8-B886-008498D891D2.jpeg87B05F4D-8990-4B5C-A93A-D4EC6D453D3D.jpegCC226323-DA61-4CAE-9944-A84AFAE0343F.jpeg

longbowdave1

I went with a Remington 11-87 youth 20 ga when my daughter was 7. The heavier gun and gas operation really helps soak up the recoil. I put a trueglo red dot and a sumtoy choke on it. Hawglips set me up with some #9 TSS and info on a low recoil 7/8oz load and she doesn’t notice the recoil at all. She killed one at 30 and one at 40 yards with it and it piles them up. I also bought a box of 3/4oz target loads for her to practice with.

View attachment 998313View attachment 998314View attachment 998315
Awsome job!

Robert_Lee

I purchased the Stevens 301 Turkey .410 for my son last year. I put a red dot on it and shoot the Federal TSS out of it while turkey hunting. I started him shooting regular .410 shells from Walmart to get him comfortable with the gun. Everything worked out great!

rhett turkey 2.jpg