Turkey Hunting: I Keep Calling in Hens

lukeclem4901

Banned PUNK
I'm new to turkey hunting and I've been using a box call to call them in. All I've been doing with the call is doing extended yelps with the occasional cuts to draw them in. I don't fully understand the turkey language so I'm trying to be simple. I've also been hunting midday and the evenings if that affects anything. Anyways, the past two days I've gone turkey hunting and both times I've called in a group of hen. I can't tell if there's a tom with them and he's just not showing his fan or if it's solely hens that I'm Calling in. I also get excited and call when I see them but it scares them off when they see me sitting where they heard a call lol. So is it common for hens to come to another hen call without a tom? Also, do Toms always strut their fans when they come to you?

Mexican Squealer

Typically when hens come to you they are there to challenge you...mimick their attitude and calls to you. This usually gets them irritated and makes them get fired up and raise Cain. Hearing them is also the best teacher you can have being new to turkey hunting. If you are calling hens in close, you are on the right track. Hens typically go to gobblers so if you have them coming to you, you are playing the game correctly and it’s only a matter of time before a gobbler blows your ears off behind them. When he does, do your best to get the boss mad as a hornet, otherwise you will see nature in action when those hens run past you in an effort to drag the gobbler away from you. Good luck. You are close. Make sure you have camo good enough where they can’t see you...you should blend in well enough for them to almost walk over you. If not, that needs fixing.

The Donk

I would suggest better camo (head to toe coverage), a mouth call and learn to recognize the difference between a hen, a jake and a tom. Once they are close observe them for a bit and listen to the soft calls they constantly make and don't move a muscle. It's likely a tom is in the area. Also going in the morning and listening while they are still on the roost is a good way to see if there is a tom in the area as well. Good luck.

Philbow

You're calling correctly. It's your camo, and probably movement, that is failing. If you're calling in hens eventually the gobblers will come. If you can see the birds they can see you, stop calling. A ghillie or leafy suit and a full face mask (with eye opening) with no movement will greatly improve your chances. You also need to learn the physical differences between hens and gobblers. At shotgun distances the difference is usually easy. Good luck just keep trying.

( A pop-up blind is possibly the greatest turkey harvesting invention ever. If you're hunting a certain location and keep calling in the hens you should consider a pop-up or several scattered around the property.)

Last edited: