Turkey season is next in Ga.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
In Ga, turkey season is next. DNR has cut weeks off the season, and reduced the limit to 2. Evidently they think hunting is reducing the numbers too much. When wild hogs and raccoons are the culprits. Along with the loss of habitat since hurricane Michael. Ga needs to take the season off raccoons, the fur trade tanked years ago. Coon hunters can manage coon numbers in their own lands. If people would do all they can to cut hog numbers, the state remove coon season. We would see the turkey numbers explode. I have 47 years experience in managing deer and turkeys. Here's a few photos. I enjoy turkey hunting, always use a box call. And only take doubles when my hunting days may be limited. Sometimes I use a decoy, sometimes not. Some old gobblers will shy from decoys late season.

Attachments

• April032019.jpg
    April032019.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 71
  • birdhunting.jpg
    birdhunting.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Almacon .jpg
    Almacon .jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 72
  • doubleduty.jpg
    doubleduty.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Macon Co. Al..jpg
    Macon Co. Al..jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 68
  • turkey3roda.jpg
    turkey3roda.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 64
  • roadthree.jpg
    roadthree.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 64

Quackmasterofgeorgia

In Ga, turkey season is next. DNR has cut weeks off the season, and reduced the limit to 2. Evidently they think hunting is reducing the numbers too much. When wild hogs and raccoons are the culprits. Along with the loss of habitat since hurricane Michael. Ga needs to take the season off raccoons, the fur trade tanked years ago. Coon hunters can manage coon numbers in their own lands. If people would do all they can to cut hog numbers, the state remove coon season. We would see the turkey numbers explode. I have 47 years experience in managing deer and turkeys. Here's a few photos. I enjoy turkey hunting, always use a box call. And only take doubles when my hunting days may be limited. Sometimes I use a decoy, sometimes not. Some old gobblers will shy from decoys late season.
I wouldn’t mind seeing all WMAs opened up to trapping as well.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I hate too many regulations, hoops to jump through, but I love to hunt. We either cow down to total control, or quit hunting. I took a ride through our woods this afternoon, the ruts were covered with turkey tracks. Hope they stick aroung

Attachments

• year2002.jpg
    year2002.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 35

rigderunner

There’s not as many coon hunters as there use to be and half don’t kill coons. I take as many Turkey thieves as I can in a season to my dogs

buckpasser

It’ll be a long, hard, late wait to opening day down here on the FL line…but it’ll be worth it. Now the Toms can survive long enough to get up the nerve to breed out and hatch some of those nests off as the hens weren’t doing a good enough job. Is Joe Biden running the GADNR? Also, since the Turkey Doc’s magical recipe was released I’m adding testosterone booster in with the feeder so some of my back up gobblers will be capable of breeding now without a two or three week delay (they do push ups and stuff maybe, learn to strut, and play the guitar? Not sure?).

I also learned from him that the coyotes basically play no role in hurting the turkey numbers, cause they couldn’t find no feathers in their doodoo. Rat snakes are as bad as anything on them, and habitat is king. I learned a lot. Thanks again TD! You’re the best!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
When I managed a farm for timber and hunting. Each year, red tail hawks preyed on turkey poults about as much as anything. There was one power pole in the middle of a 20 acre field a hawk would take poults to to eat. at the bottom of that pole was the evidence. I've seen red tail hawks take a brood of 12 down to two or three. Cattle egrets will eat young poults and young quail, i've seen it. The hawk photo is one I took of a red tail found impaled on a dead limb. The limb went through the breast and out the back. I pulled the limb out and he flew off.

Attachments

• 19642510_10207451158236889_4068365661302826691_n.jpg
    19642510_10207451158236889_4068365661302826691_n.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 32

hrstille

Predator control is #1. Hunters have very little to do with overall turkey population. My area was covered with coyotes, fox, bobcat, coons, ect.. & we have tremendously cut out the predator number over the past few years. Now our turkey population is booming again. There are several people hunting the birds in my area but the population is still climbing after we removed the predators. I don't know why the DNR is stuck on hunters being the problem. Its obvious that predators are the reason for decline.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
A few of my beard collection. I learned to put borax on then to keep the bugs from destroying them. bugs destroyed a cigar box of beards from years ago. I love hunting turkeys, using cedar boxes. I have a few boxes, old and new. most made by a friend

Attachments

• IMG_20190411_210059313.jpg
    IMG_20190411_210059313.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190510_210451431.jpg
    IMG_20190510_210451431.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 31

Elkdog

Predator control is #1. Hunters have very little to do with overall turkey population. My area was covered with coyotes, fox, bobcat, coons, ect.. & we have tremendously cut out the predator number over the past few years. Now our turkey population is booming again. There are several people hunting the birds in my area but the population is still climbing after we removed the predators. I don't know why the DNR is stuck on hunters being the problem. Its obvious that predators are the reason for decline.
I think predators probably are the main problem but hunters will have to be the ones to do something about it. Some coon hunters don’t kill many so they have plenty to chase. The DNR isn’t likely to try to control predators. It’s really not feasible. They can control the regs though. Time will tell if these new season dates will help.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Only thing I didn't like about wild turkeys, was mounting them. Mounted a few during my commercial years as a taxidermist, and it's no picknick. It's so easy to mess the skin up on the top of the lower back. It's a real job. So now I merely enjoy eating fried turkey breast. And grind the dark meat up with venison.

Attachments

• IMG_20190412_133613228.jpg
    IMG_20190412_133613228.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20190412_133639583.jpg
    IMG_20190412_133639583.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 13